Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New Saltwater Trend?

Started by dan2x38, November 21, 2008, 12:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

Is it just me or has there been a steady increase in saltwater hobbists? That is really cool. I've been considering it for along time now seeing the increase is great to read about with all the new set-ups. There is advise flying back & forth to absorb too. Now more start up tanks hopefully prices start to lower...  8)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Tsukiyomi-sakura

I think It may have someting to do with the complexity of reefs and maintaining them in the home as per wild they are natural resources that are endangered, with that all the new hobbyists will help with awareness on how delicate reef and fish systems are.

It's also more of a challenge then some other fw species and I think that plays a role+ most marine species are brilliantly coloured and hard to resist  :D

We also now have better technology to take care of and maintain a reef system making it much easier, but somethings are still rocket science! ;D

RossW

Personally, somedays I miss my cichlid tank but can't see myself every going back.  IMHO, SW is just so much more challenging and rewarding.

I can't imagine my "man cave" without my SW tank  :D

kennyman

My girlfriend says the same Ross. She like the Mbuna tank I had best of all my tanks because of the social interactivity and all the baby cichlids growing up.

You can run a SW for about little more than a FW tank if you drop the Reef Part Dan. It is the reef invertebrates that drive the equipment cost up so much. And a fish only tank gives you a much wider range of fish to keep. You are quite limited in fish types once you add Reef Invertebrates. Fish like Triggers, Puffers, Angels and the more colourful Wrasses are non reef safe.

Most of us use way to much LR in the tank because we don't take advantage of the Jaubert Plenum. Take a look at that system and you might find a way to run a marine tank with lower costs   ;)

audioslave_36

Ya, I have been hardcore fresh water for years, but now I have the salt bug :)  (I am keeping my 220g fw tank though) I have been taking it very slow, as it is a very big investment (good thing my wife doesn't keep track of my spending  :-X ) and I don't want to make any costly mistakes. I just want to say that the people on this site are an awesome group, very knowledgable and helpful

dan2x38

With all the slatwater interest and growth by the time I get my nerve up there will be a wealth of info to draw from. Yes OVAS is awesome so many cool people.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Brine

Quote from: dan2x38 on November 21, 2008, 12:15:59 PM
Is it just me or has there been a steady increase in saltwater hobbists? That is really cool. I've been considering it for along time now seeing the increase is great to read about with all the new set-ups. There is advise flying back & forth to absorb too. Now more start up tanks hopefully prices start to lower...  8)

I think the interest is the same but because you are considering the switch you notice it more. It's like when you get a new car (say an Intrepid)...all of a sudden there are tons of Intrepids all o'er the place. In reality there are no more than before, you are just noticing them now.
I could be wrong though....just my 2 cents

kennyman

The SW aspect of this board really exploded over the past two years. As evidenced by the creation of the SW forum. Good call on that one guys. There used to be another Ottawa based marine aquarium site, but it was retail driven and had some pretty severe issues due to that. Since that site has restructured as a National Aquarium resource, and closed its business doors, far more local traffic seems to be coming here.