Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

International Coral Purchases

Started by Nelson, May 24, 2005, 07:53:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nelson

Received this morning and thought I would share it with our OVAS SW aquarists for information purposes.  

Coral seizures such as this one are not isolated incidents....although certain corals can be sourced directly from international suppliers, buyers must always consider the possibility that there may be a requirement for a CITES permit involved.

FishPassion

Thanks Nelson,
I have been thinking about a US coral purchase but I best do everything by the books.
Not relishing the thought of sharing a cell with Bubba, hahaha
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube

Nelson

Quote from: "FishPassion"Thanks Nelson,
I have been thinking about a US coral purchase but I best do everything by the books.
Not relishing the thought of sharing a cell with Bubba, hahaha

A laugh to start my day Klauss :D

LowKey

I had no idea it was such a big deal to bring coral through the boarder.  :!:

I've brought many pieces across as souvenirs from vacationing in the south.  Never an issue.  

Just how stringent are they with respect to (dry) coral removal? Many of us who vacation in the south bring back mementos such as shells, sand, and small coral pieces discovered on the beach.  Who hasn't?  What are the guidelines?

More information on this subject would be great.  Good post Nelson.

Nelson

Quote from: "LowKey"I had no idea it was such a big deal to bring coral through the boarder.  :!:

I've brought many pieces across as souvenirs from vacationing in the south.  Never an issue.  

Just how stringent are they with respect to (dry) coral removal? Many of us who vacation in the south bring back mementos such as shells, sand, and small coral pieces discovered on the beach.  Who hasn't?  What are the guidelines?

More information on this subject would be great.  Good post Nelson.

Clean shells, sand and small quantities of "beach" coral will not likely attract attention at the border.  It's the larger pieces imported by returning travellers that have obviously been removed from a reef at some point that cause concern.  These pieces will be detained for identification, and if found to be protected, will be seized in the absence of a CITES permit and the importer is subject to a fine, particularly if undeclared.  Importers of larger quantities that are imported without a permit are subject to the loss of the coral and significant sanctions, including prosecution.

If you are considering the purchase of coral outside of Canada, dry or otherwise, you should determine if possible the species of coral and its natural habitat then consult with Environment Canada's Canadian Wildlife Serive for advice.  You can get further information on their web site:

http://www.cites.ec.gc.ca/eng/sct6/sct6_11_e.cfm

Hope this helps LowKey