Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Blue or White Moonlight?

Started by CoralCutie, December 16, 2008, 12:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoralCutie

OK.. I didnt even know there was a white moonlight.  Ugh!  What is that one for?  I just installed some blue lights for my Flower Pot coral and its loving it :)  Is the white better?  Whats the difference between the 2?

percula99

I don't know if there is a difference or not. I have three 3/4 watt blue moon lights on my 180 and it looks quite nice once my eyes have adjusted to the darkness.
180 gallon reef. 250 lbs live rock. Mostly LPS and softies with some SPS. Show fish are Blonde Naso, Emperor Angel, mated Ocellaris clowns. 504 watt LEDs..

Jean L

I presently have 1 blue one that I light up at the full moon cycle.
Blue is nice ,but I would rather have a white one. It seems to give a more natural look.
I did not find a white one when I was looking for an LED moonlight.  my 2c.
J

fishboy

Quote from: percula99 on December 16, 2008, 12:53:58 PM
I don't know if there is a difference or not. I have three 3/4 watt blue moon lights on my 180 and it looks quite nice once my eyes have adjusted to the darkness.

Meaning you have 3 blue lights and 1 white one ?

percula99

No white light. What I meant is if I am downstairs it takes a minute or so for my eyes to adjust to the dimness since there are only three 3/4 watt lights on.
180 gallon reef. 250 lbs live rock. Mostly LPS and softies with some SPS. Show fish are Blonde Naso, Emperor Angel, mated Ocellaris clowns. 504 watt LEDs..

fishboy

percula99

PowderPurple

I like the blue led since it bring out the color from corals at night. I think the white led imitate the moonlight better.

OttawaFolkFestivum

Ok - just a continuation on this moon light thread...does anyone have opinions on what would be preferable for a freshwater tank? The above comment(s) make it sound like white would be preferable (looks more natural, and since you don't have colorful corals to get the blue-light glow from...)

The moonlights that I have seen on the market are blue-only (470nm), i.e. fishbowl innovations and coralife. However this would be something pretty straight forward to wire up.
Cheers, Steve

Hookup

Ahhhhhhhhhh... It's a FRESH WATER GUY!... RUN FOR THE REEFS!

OttawaFolkFestivum

I mean, now that I have my 120G SPS reef tank fully automated and running like a dream, it's freed me up to look into this freshwater issue.
Cheers, Steve

OttawaFolkFestivum

...but yes Hookup, I will post in FW.
Cheers, Steve

redbelly

Quote from: OttawaFolkFestivum on December 29, 2008, 09:59:42 AM
I mean, now that I have my 120G SPS reef tank fully automated and running like a dream, it's freed me up to look into this freshwater issue.

LOL!

I used to have the coralife 1W moonlight on my fw tanks and really liked it. You will find some water clarity differences from sw to fw that may limit how far the light tends to travel in fw. Or at least I did, but I did also have a fair number of large pieces of drift woods so I would imagine that this would be the main contributing factor.

For moon light if you get a coralife go for the 1W as opossed to the 3/4W. This is what I have always run on my tanks up to now

Fish bowl inovations makes a nice controller there that will do the moon cycles but I was not as big of a fan of their actual moon light. Its nice, but not as bright as I would have prefered.

GHL also makes a fantastic Moonlight stick and spot. The controller will do any mooncycles that you can imagine, including following our moon cycle! Plus you can get either the stick or the spot with lightning effect to simulate storm which is just awsome. Guess who got one for christmas :)
There is a cool vid on youtube with this light stick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L9s-wfjleA
And the spot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLHkdvDAViA

Hookup

Quote from: OttawaFolkFestivum on December 29, 2008, 10:02:24 AM
...but yes Hookup, I will post in FW.

Twas just some holiday humor.. no offense intended what so ever, hope none was taken.

gauthier613

@redbelly

Do you have to buy the 599$ computer control unit for that?

Do you think he mounted the rocks on PVC pipe?