Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What corals are right for me?

Started by Loraloo, December 24, 2008, 12:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loraloo

I have about 5 watts per gallon. I just want to make sure I don't put anything in my tank that requires more lighting than that. I'm assuming that 5 watts per gallon is pretty middle of the road in the way or lighting. Any coral suggestions? What types would do well with that kind of lighting??? Anything to shed some light on the subject is appreciated.

nissannx

watts per gallon is kinda irrelevant (sp) What size tank and what kind of lights and what kelvin they are, are more important

Loraloo

I have a 20 gallon with a coralife 96W light. I think it's about 6500 Kelvins??? Any suggestions

groan

Start with zoanthids and maybe some mushrooms and low-light paly. you could probably also do some green star polyp.
basically the same things i have, hehe
your tank may be higher light than mine since it is probably shorter than my tank.

Loraloo

How about Xenia or mushrooms? And lobophyllia?

Julie

Is your light a power compact - what is the depth of your tank?

kennyman

I had good success with a lobo under cf lights. Yellow polyps, hairy mushrooms, pink shrooms, brown polyps, star polyps. It was tough for me to keep xenia though. It may be a softy but it likes light. Kenya tree and most leathers are good too but will get too big pretty fast.

Mushrooms are supper easy but they are a menace too. They move around a lot as they spread and crowd out pretty much anything they get near.

Tsukiyomi-sakura

No matter what you do your going to want some Zoo's they are very lovable and come in many colours.