Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Seaweed or Algae?

Started by Tsukiyomi-sakura, November 30, 2008, 05:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsukiyomi-sakura

This stuff looks like seaweed but I'm not 100% sure, any ideas?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tsukiyomi-sakura

Oh forgot to mention, This stuff is really small, For instance in the top picture on the lower right hand side is a mini feather duster... :D

groupie02

from what I can tell, that is bryopsis. 

Tsukiyomi-sakura

Quote from: groupie02 on November 30, 2008, 05:29:29 PM
from what I can tell, that is bryopsis. 

Should I leave it for now or get rid of it? considering it's a pest sometimes.

groupie02

A lot of us have issues with that wonderful algae. If you can remove it without letting it spread in the tank, that would most likely be a good thing (unless you have a tang that like to eat it).

I've recently learned that bryopsis has a tendency to show up when your magnesium level is not optimal. I haven't researched that yet but will do in the near future.

Tsukiyomi-sakura

Well Since I am going to be adding another tang to the 150 in the future, I'll QT him in the 30, (I only use natural QT processes, works great for me) so I'll let it grow for now,

drew_tt

"seaweed" is algae, but not all algae is seaweed

I'm assuming you were just curious if your algae is a nuisance algae or not, but just throwing it out there as an FYI for future reference that the terms are not mutually exclusive.

looks like bryopsis to me as well... hope you have good luck with it :)

Drew

groan

yup, i have an ongoing war with bryopsis and it almost caused me- along with hair algae- to give it all up, as you know.
i've just been picking it and doing water changes and it seems to be dissipating. it only exists on one rock now.

keep picking it and eventually you will win.

PowderPurple