Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Will running a UV Sterilizer reduce/eliminate my cyano problem?

Started by Zzippper, December 29, 2008, 07:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zzippper

Title says it all.... Will running a UV Sterilizer reduce/eliminate my cyano problem?

Anyone else try this? Was it successful?

Opinions?

Z

redbelly

UV will have some effect on Cyano, but its minimal at best.

There is no replacement for water changes when it comes to cyano.

RoxyDog

ya, I don't think the UV will do much?

I tried many many water changes this last time I had a cyano outbreak, and it didn't even help a bit.  the sand was covered and nothing seemed to help, not even sugar.  finally I got fed up and used red slime remover.  *poof* gone in one treatment.  I'm not usually an advocate for using chemicals, but in an established system and watching closely for trouble, I took the risk.  now will it come back is the question...
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Zzippper

Quote from: RoxyDog on December 30, 2008, 09:32:06 AM
ya, I don't think the UV will do much?

I tried many many water changes this last time I had a cyano outbreak, and it didn't even help a bit.  the sand was covered and nothing seemed to help, not even sugar.  finally I got fed up and used red slime remover.  *poof* gone in one treatment.  I'm not usually an advocate for using chemicals, but in an established system and watching closely for trouble, I took the risk.  now will it come back is the question...

Which 'red slime remover' product did you use? Any negative effects on nitrifying bacteria etc (Live rock)?
Did you use the recommended dose or a lesser dose?

Z

RoxyDog

I'm pretty sure I used this: http://www.bigalsonline.ca/StoreCatalog/ctl3664/cp18150/si1317324/cl1/ultralife_red_slime_remover?&query=red+slime+remover&queryType=0&offset=

I don't have a skimmer, but I assume you'd turn it off if you have one.  I did put an ac mini on the tank for some extra oxygen exchange.  There did not seem to be any negative effects on my system, just the positive of no more cyano!  I used the recommended dose (it says to repeat after 48 hrs if needed, but it wasn't needed).  I did turn my lights off for the day of treament hoping to give it some help.

Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

NjOyRiD

i used that same product 2 weeks ago, it worked great. But talking with others, they told me u can only use that product once a year

didnt come back since, lets cross fingers
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO