Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Blue linka star lost leg?

Started by Cbellehumeur, January 07, 2009, 02:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cbellehumeur

I've had my blue linka in my tank since i started it up 2 years ago. The other week i saw my sea urchin on the starfish and the next day the tip of his leg was gone. Then it started to grow back but then he lost half of it. Today i woke up to find his whole leg gone. He's not looking very heathy and starting to look thin. Any suggestions for me?

Cheebs

Have you added anything new to the tank recently? Or have you changed something in the tank?  Starfish usually shed legs when something is stressing them out. When mine was looking grim I fed it a chunk of shrimp one a week and it recovered, but if you've had it in the tank for 2 years something might be bothering it.  If the water conditions are good, and other creatures aren't bothering it, chances are it will grow the arm back or heal over the wound and keep living it's humble life. Keep and eye on it!

Cbellehumeur

Nothing has changed everything was added at the same time....not even a water change. thanks for the advice though....i'll watch over him

fishboy

I cant remember but i think some urchins eat starfish, but that is just a total guess. i thought i may of read that somewhere.

But i have a blue linkia too and a tuxedo urchin and i have no problems soo..