Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Canopy with no glass under the lights

Started by irene, February 19, 2009, 05:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irene

I have a canopy that came with a 10g aquarium and there is no glass to keep the moisture away from the bulbs.  It is the old screw in incandescent type canopy and it doesn't look like there ever was glass there.

Is it ok to use it like this?  It seems like it would be bad to have a sponge filter bubbling away in there spraying water all over the bulbs and the sockets... ???  I bought it used and it did appear as though it had been used like that in the past.

elk

Go to Canus plastics on 300 lisgar st.
Bring your light with you,they`ll cut a piece of acrylic while you wait.
Cost is less than 5.00
I had my canopy made there which is for a 29g bowfront,it cost me 8.00

irene

Thanks!!  There is no issues with the light and/or heat from the light and the acryilc?

Adam

I would get a piece of glass.  I've had browning of acrylic from lightbulbs before.
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers