Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

LF: Recommendation for Co2 dispersion

Started by Ormarr, February 16, 2009, 08:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ormarr

Currently using the CO2 Reactor-M with Attached Powerhead by AquaMedic, but am not very satisfied with it.  What are the plant gurus using as a Co2 reactor/diffuser.  I don't mind if I need a separate pump or powerhead, I just want something that will help my Co2 levels.

Thanks.

Jeff1192

I am by no means a plant guru....but I'm trying :) !  I am using an Aqua Medic 1000 connected to one of my canister filters. It is excellent. It's very quiet and I never see any bubbles coming out of my spraybar so I am assuming I'm getting close to 100% absorption of the CO2. I'm very happy with it.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

dan2x38

Like Jeff no guru. I was using the Aquamedic 500 but thought I could get better dissolution. I modified a DIY inline bio-ball diffuser. I made it so the intake was at the top with the output at the bottom going to my spraybar. The Co2 enters at the top. The diffuser stays upright inline on the canister output. On my other tank I have the simple old power head and gravel tube with the CO2 coming into the tube to get curned around and dissolved. Both work very well.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

zima

DIY reactor all the way! Like dan2x38, I built my own reactor with bio balls and parts bought from Reno Depot (Rona in Ontario). It was one of the easiest things I've built in the hobby, and all together costed me around $25 to build 2 reactors. The dissolution rate is 100% judging from crystal clear, "bubble-less" water coming out of the spraybar. Here is the link to the reactor I built - http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=28806.0

Oh yeah, and I am not a guru.

fischkopp

I heard good things about the Aquamedic reactors and those various DIY inline reactors. I use ceramic diffuser on some tanks and - because I got lazy - others I just send the CO2 through the canister filter. Works for me so far.

Depending on the tank size, it is actually useful to run more than one diffuser/reactor, one in each corner for example, as it would need a lot of flow to have an even distribution in a long tank. So instead of changing your current reactor you might want to think about adding an additional one as well. Maybe more flow might already help to bring the CO2 levels up. Just a few thoughts from a hobbyist, not a guru. :)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

Before the gurus add their 2 cents  ;), here is what i use, i have a aquamedic 500 driven by a small fountain pump which works quite well, i also use another one similar to the aquamedic 500 by Otto aquarium products called the"turbo co2 reactor" which works equally well.

jart

Though it looks like an artifact from the Spanish Inquisition, this is my reactor. It's a slight variation on the old tried and true design. I don't use any bioballs in this reactor. The reactor is plumbed into the outflow of my canister.

Although I can't see any bubbles entering the tank from the canister spray bar, my current bubble count is insanely high, so I am starting to wonder as to the reactor's efficiency.

The assembly on the bottom with the two valves is not an essential part of the reactor. On water change day I simply hook up a hose to one of the outlets, open one valve, close the other valve, and the water drains into the bath tub.