Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Plant I.D.

Started by henry, March 31, 2009, 08:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

henry

Does anyone know what the name of this plant is? Another aquarist gave me a piece but he didn't know what it was.

Thanks Richard

[attachment deleted by admin]

fischkopp

Looks like some kind of Myriophyllum, probably M. mattogrossense. It's undemanding. :)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

dan2x38

Is the leaf a bit course not fine? If so I had this plant looks just like it. I couldn't find the name either. It was growing nicely then I decided I wanted to move it. After it was replanted it never recovered... :( I think it likes to be right under the light with a little water current and substrate ferts. I'd just fertilized a sword near by when it was doing well. B/C when I moved it there was more shade and no water movement or substrate ferts - could have been transplant shock too. Really like to hear how this one works out!
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

henry

Ya Dan it's course.

Every water change I pluck it out and then put it back under the light and float it on the hornwort. I have had it for about 2 months and it really has not done anything. It used to be very red and has just started turning green as part of the plant has started rotting. (fuzzy part of the plant pic is rotting) I just did a huge water change because of nitrate issues in that tank, I don't know if that is a cause or not. I was hoping I could get some info and get it to grow more. It's a very cool little plant.

bergenm

It looks to me like immersed Parrot's Feather (Myriophyllum aquaticum) - some people keep it as and aquarium plant. You can tell by the leaves, they will change texture and shape when it hits the surface.
Michael

Bees

I've got a some of it too, it piggybacked in when I bought some plants off someone a couple of weeks ago.  I have two small pieces and they are growing, albeit slowly.  Green and red leaves and stems.  I almost tossed it thinking it was hornwort but since it looked different I'm giving it a chance.  I'm not doing anything special, just stuck it in the substrate in the front corner of the tank near some Vals.  I'm using dry ferts with excel on opposite days and DIY CO2.  I'll try and post a picture, sorry don't know the name either.

Edit: Hope these pics aren't too big...

henry

If the leaves are very spiny and rigid that could be it. Thank you.

I will have to plant it before it all dies on me.

dan2x38

I'd have to go with bergenm on the Parrot Feather. I had that plant too and it looked exactly the same. I got it in Mtrl.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."