Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Horned Nerite

Started by sas, March 12, 2009, 11:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sas

Horned Nerite Snail (Clithon corona)
Does anyone have these guys and just wondering about the coloring?
I have some that I purchased from when Zapisto was around and one has grown remarkable but has lost it's black stripe.
It now has black only at the tip of the shell where the spikes are and the main body of the snail is a drab olive green.
I know they all grow different patterns of black and olive swirls but just didn't realize that it could totally disappear?

Laura

I just took a quick peek at mine - I have two but could only find one right now.

Mine still have the black stripe, but you can see a growth line and the new black stripe is much thinner than on the older shell where it is quite thick and bold.

Perhaps there's something in the diet or original enviro that encourages the thicker dark stripe.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

sas

Thanks Laura for the reply,
wow 42 reads and only one reply, guess these guys aren't as common as I thought.
Like you, Laura mine disappear off and on.
I'm not too concerned about the shell coloring, since they have tripled their size since
I purchased them, so they must be healthy.

"Perhaps there's something in the diet or original enviro that encourages the thicker dark stripe."

Very interesting, I know our horses feet show definite changes in growth, depending on season and feed
makes sense that these guys shells would vary also.

dan2x38

Sas I also had some from Zap last year. They last almost a year until I had a pH crash and lost them. They were my favs. I'd had them for almost a year. The colour was a nice yellowish colour but one was lossing it's black stripe. I think it was a sign then the pH was dropping. Laura is on track with the water idea for sure. I bought 6 more from Tim @ Worldfish. They are small but nicely coloured. Hoping they grow as big or bigger. I have crushed coral in that filter now and have for awhile since I also have nerite onion snails in there. Their shells are excellent with no pitting. The nerites need the higher pH.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Fishnut

I just got some from Worldfish...they're beautiful little snails!!  3 have the yellow and black stripe, 1 has mostly yellow with a thin brown colour stripe and the 5th is mostly mottled brown with a beige like stripe, but it's a very thin beige stripe.  The colouration of the 5th one reminds me of the art style of pointillism in the way the shell is coloured.  They're all horned though!  I think I'm really going to enjoy then :).

What are the water parameters of the tank you put them in?  Right now, mine are in a large vase until I decide what tank gets the assassin snails and what tank gets these guys.

dan2x38

Sas I do also remember reading somewhere last year that bad water conditions they can loss their horns or most of them... I guess they erode.
Voltaire:

Fishnut

Yes, I've been reading about them.  You need to add some kind of calcium to the water either in liquid form or with crushed coral.  I put mine in one of those self contained 1 gallon tanks with a light and undergravel filter today.  I may leave them in there for a bit and see how they do with regular tap water.  If I add them to any other tank, I'll never find all of them again!

dan2x38

Quote from: Fishnut on March 15, 2009, 12:34:53 AM
I may leave them in there for a bit and see how they do with regular tap water.

Hope you are treating the water...
Voltaire:

Fishnut

sas

Quote from: dan2x38 on March 14, 2009, 11:41:19 PM
Sas I do also remember reading somewhere last year that bad water conditions they can loss their horns or most of them... I guess they erode.

Back on track here.
I never said that mine had lost their horns or spikes, just that they seem to have
grown so much and lost there middle stripe.
The water parameters are obviously good in this tank since the corys' and brig snails are
breeding.
The ph is 9 and hardness is off the scale.
I'm thinking that they are growing too quickly and will eventually put down
some coloring or maybe not.
Fishnut .........mine were that small too when I first got them, and I was worried
that I would lose them too, but into an established, algae ridden tank they went.
I made sure I found them every morning, since they aren't cheap.
Good luck with yours Fishnut and Dan.

dan2x38

Sas sounds like you have great snail water... :) they will be happy and live a long while I predict... I was just saying that water conditions do affect the shells including the horns not that yours were though...
Voltaire: