Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Algae issue brewing

Started by dan2x38, March 15, 2009, 10:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

I let my plants grow into a jungle before the auction. Then pruned them all out shortly before. Now my 75g is staring to show algae... I should have known better not to prune so much at once. Now I am on the verge of a break-out of BBA, Brown Algae and a Green Dust Algae. I increased CO2, WCs, shut off 1 x 10,000k light tube, lighten up feedings and almost stopped dosing. Now I cross my fingers and watch...  :-\

Do you guys think these are appropriate actions? I dose with Flourish Comp. and dry fert trace. I can't use Excel I have Twisted vals in the tank.

I run my CO2 from my regulator under another tank stand using a 3-way manifold/bubble counter. I've always capped off the 3rd outlet. To fight the algae I ran a new line from the 3rd outlet off the manifold. I am using an Eheim Air Diffuser: http://www.aquaristic.net/eheim-air-diffuser.html?lang=1 the cost - $7 from BA. So on each end of the 75g I am adding CO2 now. It is working excellent.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Bees

Hey, thanks for pointing out that diffuser.  I picked one up from BA's and it is working great - much better than my previous setup.  Does yours 'squeak' with every release of bubbles?  I will have to try adjusting the output level on the diffuser. 

Anyway, thanks again.