Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Lesson learned

Started by smalltownfan, April 11, 2009, 06:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smalltownfan

In the community tank we lost 6 fish this week.  :'(  After the first loss, 1 fish (Blue Ram), I checked levels, only did ammonia and nitrite (because I ran out of nitrate solution) both normal. Two days later lost 2 more (Blue Ram & Neon) checked again, both OK. This morning 2 more (Otto & Neon!) Both levels OK.  ????? WTF!
While at LFS today, to picK up some odds and ends I picked up Nitrate test refills, came home, found I lost a female guppy.
Did the Nitrate test....don't want to tell you the result  :-[ but I immediately did a W/C, had to be at least 75%. I did a 25% 10 days ago. ??? I don't know happened!!!  But......From now on..all three tests if there is a problem.

I did add a CO2 ladder and a CO2 generator three weeks ago. Plants have shown amazing growth. Could this be a cause? This tank has been up and running for almost a year with no problems till now.
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

dan2x38

What have you been fertilzing with?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

robt18

Plant growth typically brings your pH and nitrates down. Were your results way too high or low?

Have you tested your pH? I'd say that would be the more likely culprit... unless your nitrates were high enough to give the fish nitrate poisoning, but when that happens you usually notice some weird behaviour.

Blue rams are extremely sensitive too... those ones may not have been entirely your fault!