Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Angels have red eyes...

Started by ashley85, March 29, 2009, 04:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashley85

I noticed last night that one of my angels eyes appeared to be bloodshot and he seemed sluggish. I haven't noticed any of the other fish having problems and they seem to be swimming fine, and are still eating...

edit:
Last night I did the chemical tests, and nitrAtes were way off the charts... so we did an 18% (10/55 gallons) water change. This morning they were still way high, so we did another 27% water change (15/55 gallons)... they are still reading way higher than the card (I think it goes up to 160ppm) BUT all the other chemicals are good... pH is 6.6, ammonia and nitrIte are zero.... is it possible to still have the nitrates so high after water changes and the other chemicals normal (and thus causing problems), or could there be a problem with my test kit... It just doesn't seem right that everything else is normal

Laura

AFAIK mature angels often get red eyes - I assume this looks different?

I would try a test on the fresh tap water to see if you get a different reading.  Also would consider getting an independent water test from a LFS to see confirm your kit is reading properly.

Your logic of doing good sized water changes daily until the levels drop seems the right way to go.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

dan2x38

How often you usually do water changes? You got some big fish in there that is a heavy bio-load for that tank. How is the colouring on the rummynose tetras - their nose colouring especially? To ire on the safe side until you can verify your NO3 levels I'd still do some daily WCs.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

ashley85

The rummynose tetra isn't in that tank anymore (I think the sharks ate him), I forgot to take him off the list.

In addition to the red eye, I did notice the red-tailed black sharks' tail was very very pale, but now seems back to normal. Also, that one angel (the altum) almost seemed paler too... not sure if my eyes are playing tricks on me or if the colour was really paler.

We do a 25-30% water change every couple of weeks - we have a siphon that lets us get into the gravel to bring up the gunk that settles there. I changed both filters when we did the water change today.

I did a test of our normal tap water, and the bottled water that we use, and both showed 0 nitrate... did another test on the tank, and its still sky high (within a minute or two is reading at 160+ ppm) So I guess it's not my test kit... I still don't know how nitrite and ammonia can be 0 when nitrate is so high... shouldn't they all be elevated?

dan2x38

The bio-filter is working or you'd have NH3 & NO2 the bio-filter is creating the NO3 it needs to be removed via water changes. Like mentioned you have some big fish in there with the pleco, altum angels, silver dollars, sharks... Cleaning every couple weeks is not enough IMO. Maybe even twice a week. You should be seeing numbers for NO3 below 40ppm for safeties sake. Better yet between 10ppm-20ppm (ideally).

You said you changed both filters what do you mean? If you are using carbon it will become statured with impurities from the water. Once this happens it will start to leach it back into the water causing more problems. Also if you throw out your sponge filters this is bad news b/c the maturity of your bio-filter is contained in those. If rinsing out sponge filters do it a bucket with some of your tank water then add it back.

Maybe it's time for another tank?  :D No excuse is a bad one for more tanks... LOL
Voltaire:

KLKelly

If you replaced all of your media in your filter with brand new media you probably just opened up a can of worms.  I'd keep a daily eye on ammonia now and nitrites also.  If its brand new media your tank is going to cycle again.  This is extremely hard on fish.  Never throw out filter media.  Always rinse it in discarded tank water.

Nitrates are really hard to get down with small changes but small changes are safer for tetras especially if your tap ph is different than tank ph.

For example.  NitrAtes of 160.  A 15% change will only drop it to 136. Another 15% change to 115.  Even a 50% change would drop it to 80 which would be hard on fish not used to big water changes.  Keep up with the daily water changes.  Getting Nitrates down and keeping them low by upping your water change schedule and using your test kit until you know how your water behaves and you get into a routine is a good idea.

ashley85

I replaced both of the big blue carbon filters and the 2 bio-wheels... I had been just rinsing the filters, but they were getting really gross so I replaced them :S

I've been trying to read up as much as possible on tanks - I inherited the FW and SW when my sister moved out

I can do the chemical tests every day, thats not a problem...  Would doing a 10gal (18%) water change every 2-3 days to get the nitrate down be too much?

dan2x38

No the small water changes every couple days is a good idea for now until you get your nitrates in check. You through out the wheels did I understand that right? Those hold the all important nitrifying bacteria. I strongly suggest researching the nitrogen cycle in your aquarium: http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/filtration/nitrification.htm Especially read the part about, "Where there's muck". Also there is a post here you should check out: http://ovas.ca/index.php?page=75

If you just got a saltwater tank and have no experience I suggested posting in the Saltwater Forum here for help there are a lot of experienced marine hobbyists on line here.
Voltaire:

Edith

Your doing the right thing with the water changes. Do you have any plants in the tank? Are you watching not to over feed? What I do when I clean my tanks and I have enough of them with angels in them, I look at my tank and divide it in to 4 then I only clean one part at a time every week I clean one forth of the tank your keeping the good stuff in but still cleaning the gravel to keep the bad stuff out. I have 5 pair of angels and they lay eggs every week so I no there happy and healthy. I clean the filter once a month in it's own tank water from the cleaning. If you need help P.m and we can meet at my house so I can show you what I mean.