Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

using soft water

Started by motoman, February 18, 2004, 10:18:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I would expect that the test results for rain would vary a lot as rain can be influenced by the levels of pollution in the air.  Pollution would be more of a factor in the summer than in the winter time when cold clean artic air is prevalent.

motoman

Would the type of roof you have affect the readings too? I'm thinking that the logical way to collect a lot of rain water would be via your evestroughing so I wonder if a shingled roof would be worse than a tin roof? Just a though. My mom uses rain water to fill her pond in the summer (Goldfish in it) and she has a shingled roof. The fish seem perfectly fine and healthy so maybe its nothing to worry about but it may depend on the fish species your using the water for.

Motoman

saltydog

I once bought some fish from someone in the country who was selling because she was running out of water. Her well had low output & the dry summer meant that the rainwater that she relied on to fill her tanks was in very short supply.
-thankful for a tankfull-

artw

Remember David,  as Frank Zappa told us,  don't eat (test) the yellow snow :)

manytanks

A good point about the run-off from the asphalt-shingled roof. I wouldn't use it myself in winter or summer, and during the winter made a point of using only snow that was in the open field and not near the house.

With respect to using rainwater in the summer, I intend to rig some sort of tarp that will drain into a clean pail. The point about summer rain being more polluted is a good one, though. We live in the Almonte area and additional pollution seems not to be a problem (in winter) from the City of Ottawa, although it may be one from central and U.S. sources in summer.

//Manytanks