New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

new pond owner says hello

Started by Cindy, April 27, 2009, 10:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cindy

Hi: our new-to-us home came with a 9x12 pond that is alive! well, two floating fish when we uncovered it, but the rest are spritely. I'm getting used to the homemade filter left here & find algae builds up very fast. WAter is very murky & only destined to get worse as the temps climb. I've not had a pond before... would an algae zapping bulb/tube help? How to set it up?
I don't know enough about this group to know if it is like freecycle (what might someone give me), or if I might buy something economically through a member upgrading. Heavens - don't want to offend or break rules. I'm just glad I figured out how to post! Supposing of course that the 'post' button works.
Cheers,
Cindy - a country mouse with a loverly pond.

Laura

Welcome!
I only have a wee pond and can't offer much advice - but congrats on the new pond - it sounds great!
The Pond Boy is a sponsor here and very helpful.  Also in town is the Pond Clinic for advice.

Re. the classifieds, some things are offered for free but not too commonly.  When you know what you need, you could always post LF (looking for) and see what kind of response you get.

Glad most of the fish made it, and again, welcome.

EDIT - I see you found the 'pond' section of the forum  :)
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Cindy

Hi back Laura: thanks for the bits of hints/help in your email. I'm not even into smiley faces so heaven only knows when I'll explore all this site has.

Yes, I posted in ponds also as that is where my learning needs to happen.

Cheers for now...