Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

mbuna cross breeding

Started by Robbie, May 12, 2009, 11:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbie

I need some advise as to what to do with the hybred fry: The female is holding (a week now) ...I can't keep them, the tank is already overstocked, and from what i read I should not distribute hybreds (to sell or free).
The breeding pair: a yellow lab (female) and a red zebra (very bright RED).

the water is very clear...been runing the tank for 5 months now... fish are not aggresive at all

Tank info:
30G
Filters: 150 and 200  Bio-Wheels, a sponge filter

Please advise?

limmer

Are you sure the lab cross-bred with red zebra.
I Have both in my tank (males & females) and have never had a problem.
If I think they are hybrids, then I would just leave them in the tank to get eaten.
My 2 cents worth.

psychwolf

Quote from: limmer on May 12, 2009, 12:45:27 PM
If I think they are hybrids, then I would just leave them in the tank to get eaten.

But what if the fry don't get eaten? :o

Stussi613

You could always strip her of the fry before they are ready, which would pretty much ensure that they don't survive (I know, it's a cruel world we live in).

Quote from: psychwolf on May 12, 2009, 01:36:52 PM
But what if the fry don't get eaten? :o
I haz reef tanks.

Bogman

Or, you could cull them if they do survive.  There are "humane" ways to do so.

RoxyDog

The babies in my tank never survive.  But if they did I'd either keep them if they were cute or find a humane way to dispose of them.
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Robbie

Thanks to all for your suggestions/Opinions...

I'll leave the female in the tank...and will see what happens.