Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Help with fish selection

Started by holachicka, July 18, 2009, 05:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holachicka

Ok, so i finally have my 20gl set up and ready for some new fish. Currently i have 2 chromis, 1 cleaner shrimp and 3 hermit crabs and way too many bristleworms ( >:() I HAte those nasty little things and yes, I know, they are good for my tank...they are just so yucky!

Ok, I was thinking purple firefish, watchmen goby, 1-2 clown fish and a few more crabs (6-7).

What are peoples thoughts on my list and please add any suggestions or additions.

I look forward to all your replies :)

Thanks

mikerobart

I would probably not add the firefish AND the goby AND the clowns. Clowns are coolest in pairs, and a pair of clowns would likely do well. The clowns could harass the firefish in that size of tank, and outcompete for food. I had two chromis, a six line wrasse, 2 clowns, and skunk cleaner in my 29g. I added a firefish.. it died in 2 weeks because the clowns would not let it eat!

More crabs are not a problem. Goby is sort of a separate niche, so should not really compete with others for food as long as there is ample supply, but I don't have a lot of experience with them.

If your water quality is top notch the clowns and goby perhaps.. would not go with 4 more fish tho in a 20gal.

tskinner

I ran my 20 with a 2 clowns, a bangaii cardinal, a purple firefish and a Yellow Watchman goby with no issues between the fish....

Hookup

imo sounds like a lot of fish... assuming a good system for removal of junk?

I like the red firefish better myself.. :)

Just cause a fish is common and therefore cheap, does not discount it as awesome... rare is nice, but not always the best... take the yellow tang and/or royal gramma, both cheap and common, but both are hard to beat in terms of color and general personality.. not saying you should put a tang in your 20gal btw, just saying common fish get overlooked way too often cause they are "common"...

I would put a wrasse in maybe... instead of the firefish...

Vincenzo.

ottawa_fry22

Clowns are great to have but yes they can be aggressive towards other fish at feeding time in a small tank.  If they decide to lay eggs it will be more difficult to house fish with them.

For a small tank I usually suggest 1 Sixline Wrasse, Clown Goby, Watchmen Gobies.  I love the Bicolor Blenny.  It gets 4inches but lots of character.  The other fish I mentioned stay smaller.  Porcelain Crabs are cool to have too.  They have filter feeding hands and the crab is a nice lilac purple.

Hope this helps,
Steph   
75 gal planted, t5HO, fine soft sand, powder-form hydroponic fertilizers., 5 viejita apistogramma, 1 Banjo Cat, 1 Rapheal Cat, 3 Emerald Corys, 2 black angels, 1 Bushynose Pleco, 1 molly, 5 SAEs, 2 bolivian ram, 1 kribensis.

20 gal low light sand tank, 4 white cloud mountain minnows.