Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

A damsel and a clownfish in a 15 gallon

Started by Mart1789, July 31, 2009, 06:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mart1789

Hi,

I'll be starting a 15 gallon fish only with live rock system.  I want to have a damsel and a clown (a. ocellaris), nothing else.  But given that damsels are agressive, can you mix it with  a clown?  Will the two coexist in a 15 gallon tank?  I am thinking of introducing the clown first then add the damsel so there are less territory issues.  What do you think?

Mart

JD

I have kept damsels with clowns for awhile now with no issues. Granted a larger tank but three damsels and four clowns(two Onyx and two false percs). Your damsel will be the boss I'm sure. Your order of introduction should help. I have had trouble feeding only a couple fish with one being very dominant. I end up over feeding trying to make sure the less dominant one gets food. Have you considered getting two clowns, maybe a mated pair, and trying to breed them?

heater15

dont do it!!! bad experience and a lemon damsel and too clowns and the damsel slowly starting nipping at there fins and killing one

hermitcrab

You might want to try a less aggressive species of Damsel, like the Yellow tail damsel.  They are a quite small and relatively peaceful Damsel.  You might want to get a couple so they can chase each other around.  A friend of mine kept 2 in a 20 gallon with a Clownfish without any problems.  The Clownfish was the boss "he was bigger than they were".

HermitCrab