Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Question about lighting for 65 gal. tank.

Started by Cichlid101, August 04, 2009, 05:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cichlid101

Hey there,

I was wondering if someone could tell me if it is possible to keep corals (and what kind of corals) with a 4 bulb 48" T-8 fixture for a 65 gal. tank. I know I should be looking at T-5s, but don't have the cash at the moment and I already have this fixture from my old cichlid tank. I was thinking of getting 2 power-glo and 2 marine-glo to put in it?

Any suggestions or comments?  Thanks!

Josh

Hookup

I believe some of the leathers and zoa's are within reasons... You might not get the OMG wow colors from your zoa's, but you can buy OMG wow types knowing some day when you get your T5's you'll have the color...

Gluck

knowles101

I have a 65gal 36"x 24" x 18" tank and I use a 36" Aquactinics TX5 light and I have had tremendous success with my corals. Mushrooms, ricordias, xenias, torches, duncans anemones all thrived at all depths. These were the bulbs I used

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue

Best of luck!

Cichlid101

Thanks for the info guys. So if I understand correctly I might be able to keep zoas and leather corals but their colors wouldn't be as bright? I might have to rethink this then...how about mushrooms?

Hookup

Most softies should be fine... including mushrooms... but you're not gonig to get the color and growth that you would with T5's...