Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Thinking of running without a skimmer??

Started by Hookup, August 20, 2009, 09:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hookup

Well, check this bad-boy out... not the biggest thread, and it branches a few times... This is NOT an SPS tank, but it is definitely an showstopper that could be inspiration for many...

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1506957&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

mikerobart

I've seen that thread before... awesome colours. Can definitely be done if your going softies/lps, willing to do fairly frequent water changes AND/OR low bio-load AND/OR growing enough macro.

Personally, I like fish as well as corals, and the fish might even be just as important to me... Works for small tanks or specific situations I think.

tskinner

+1 to above.......Good for LPS/Softies but if you wanted SPS it be alot harder to get good colors/growth. 

Hookup

Agreed 100%, just there is a lot of talk (from me and others) about having to have a skimmer to get results.  When I found this thread, I wanted to post something up to do two things.  1) illustrate that it is possible to run a fantastic reef-tank without a skimmer, and 2) detail the maintenance routines required to sustain such a tank.

That is an A+++ tank for anyone thinking of reef-tanks and color...  All that they have for "expensive stuff" is a great set of lighting for the corals...  No dosing, no skimming, no nothing... just loads of maintenance and great/good lights...  Oh, and some choice corals make a big difference also...

Do note, that there is active carbon on that tank which is definately a big part of the success.

Anyhow, hope it inspires some people who are intimidated by the entry-costs to the salt-world.

RoxyDog

Quote from: Hookup on August 21, 2009, 09:17:32 AM
..  No dosing, no skimming, no nothing... just loads of maintenance and great/good lights... 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it say he doses 2 part every day/other day?  And it didn't seem like loads of maintenance as he doesn't even do weekly water changes I don't think?  I assume his use of macro algae is the key there. 

Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

mikerobart

Yeah I think the macro is pretty important, not to mention I believe that a lot of those softies and lps actually don't mind some nitrates etc. might even use it to their benefit.

Hookup

Quote from: RoxyDog on August 21, 2009, 10:39:21 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it say he doses 2 part every day/other day?  And it didn't seem like loads of maintenance as he doesn't even do weekly water changes I don't think?  I assume his use of macro algae is the key there. 

Quote from: the guy who has that tank
I try to do a 15% water change every 2 weeks. I also change my carbon and polyfilter after each WC. I add 5ml each of a 2 part additive every other day. I also add magnesium when needed. I don't feed my corals, clam or filter feeders since the tank is skimmerless. Basting the LR and stirring up the sand frequently keeps those things happy.

Things not said in the above quote.
   * Aquaclear 200 used for carbon and polyfilter (cotten stuff)
   * Aquaclear is fed thru a modified surface skimming tube
   * all of his water is RO/DI (purchases from a known supplier, does not make his own)
   * Fish Load is medium to low (3 Yellow-lined Cardinalfish, Orange-tail Blue Damsel, Yellow Watchman Goby)
   * circulation is nice and high @~1400gph. 
   * Frequent "manual" blasting of the rocks to keep things suspended and not rotting
   * macro algae is used to control nutrients
   * reduced lighting schedule, including blackouts for 3 day periods (monthly I believe) to control cyano and diatoms

Without question one of the key's to his success is the surface skimming combined with the bi-weekly removal of the filter-pads (and carbon) which are working in perfect harmony with the frequent blasting of the rocks and circulation to keep things suspended, to then get trapped onthe filter pad and removed before it becomes a problem.

So, no definately not a tone of maintenance, but everything is kept in balance very well.  Great example, imo, of what can be done.

sdivell

Sure is inspiring since I am starting up the exact same size of tank, but I will be using a skimmer, and a sump... Also I only want to keep Softies and LPS.

Nice find!

Rybren

Hookup,

I could be wrong but I think that the fellow use Bio-Marine Poly Filter rather than the regular, run of the mill, cotton stuff.  I run Poly Filter as well.  It removes a wide variety of nasty stuff.

http://www.poly-bio-marine.com/polyfilter.html
120G Reef

Vincenzo.

2 of 3 tanks of mine are skimmer less. one being a frag tank. i spend more time on top-up water from evapo from the halides than anything. for all 3 tanks i do a water change once a week always changing the % in each one each week. iv had no probs. my skimmer less tanks are looking nice. 2 of my 3 im running carbon, deff makes a diff in clarity.

phyto4life

Hookup

mikerobart

My old 29g I ran skimmerless (well... a biocube skimmer for awhile but it did not do anything but aerate.. water level was never constant so zero skimmate basically). But I also ran carbon 24/7 ... I think that really does make a difference.

On my 90 now I am happy with my skimmer (SWC Extreme 200) but I would like to run carbon from time to time... not sure if I want to just use a little HOB from time to time or put some carbon in the baffles after the fuge.