Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

coral feeding

Started by salvini55, September 14, 2009, 08:54:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

salvini55

How should i be feeding cyclopese? It seems that most goes to wast if i just dump it in the tank, i also dont know how much to feed.

Hookup

To me, it is a question of nutrients in and out.  You can and should make food available frequently but be sure it can be removed.  Protine skimming is a champ here.   If you've got a good sized skimmer, then I wouldn't worry about it.  If your skimming is borderline, then I would be careful adding to the tank.

Most corals can be target fed to avoid excess nutrient in the system, and many do not require feeding at all.

I just disolve the cubes right into the tank and let my skimmer take it out.

10gnano

cyclopese is a powder, not a cube. i have a hard time with it as well. I just floats back up to the top, what i do is turn , my filters off for 20 minutes and blast the cyclopese at my sun corals with a turkeybaster, I add some other  nutrient liquids to the mix as well. My sun coral always blooms when i do it, not sure how to tell if it is getting any of it though

Hookup

Quote from: 10gnano on September 14, 2009, 09:54:20 AM
cyclopese is a powder, not a cube.

Mine is a cube of frozen cyclopese...  ::)  This powder you speak of sounds hard to use, and freeze dried/dehydrated makes me wonder about the nutritional value vs the frozen kind...

My rotifiers are also frozen cubes... as is mysis and kryl...   My freezer is a little food-cube haven... :)

10gnano

i guess you can get it in two different styles, but mine is a fine powder, i soak about a pinch of it in water for a few minutes and then suck it up with the baster and blast it on the coral with the pumps off, but alot of it does float back up to the top

Rybren

I use both frozen and freeze-dried (don't ask me why, 'cause I just do)  For the freeze dried, I do the same as 10gnano and with the frozen, I do the same as Tim.  Some does get sucked up by the skimmer, but enough remains in the tank to keep the fish, corals and inverts happy.
120G Reef

salvini55

I use the turkeyshooter too but again if floats to the surface and goes in the overflow. I dont like shutting down and restarting the system just to feed. I think i may revamp my plumbing to change this.. maybe have the sump recirculate in itself while i feed.. Man i wish i knew cyclopeze came in frozen form befor i bought an years worth... lol

Vincenzo.

everything i have is frozen except for that order i got from bruce a while back.
i just made a Huge batch of diy cubes, with all kinds of stuff.

mysis, krill, cyclops, uncooked tiger shrimp, uncooked reg shrimp, a few types of  uncooked fish fillets

the inverts Love it. and the yasha haze loves it too.

mikerobart

I toss in loads of cyclopeeze... floats around all over... then the fish go crazy for awhile trying to eat all of it and I am sure the corals get some as well although not much... especially when the cleaner shrimps zoom around scavenging all they can! Not having a nutrient problem but I think the overrated skimmer helps.

Not to mention my handful of chaeto and caulerpa is now more like a bucketful... anyone want some let me know  :D

salvini55

mikerobart