Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Sugar Dosing Diary

Started by Vincenzo., October 01, 2009, 11:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vincenzo.

We'll I Have Been Sugar Dosing For About 5 Days Now. And A Few Strange Things Have Been Happening.

What I Have Read Is That It COULD Take A Lot Longer To Get The Bacteria You Are Dosing For, BUT..

Day 1
Started Dosing 1/4 to a 1/2 Of An 1/8 Of Sugar.
Did Not Notice Anything.

Day 2
Dosed 1/4 to a 1/2 Of An 1/8 Of Sugar.
Did Not Notice Anything.

Day 3
Did Not Notice Anything.

Day 4
Started To Notice A TINY Spot Of Cyano
^This Is A Normal Sign Of The Bacteria.
A Huge Patch Of Cyano Would Have Meant A Over Dose.
Started To Notice My Skimmer Running CLEAN-CLEAN-CLEAN.
Like It's Crystal Clear.
Also Noticed The Water/Bubbles In The Collection Cup, Running Passed/Through The Lid Of The Collection Cup. And Back Down The Skimmer
So That's Good Right?
^Im Not To Sure. lol

Day 5
Noticed The Cyano Gone.
^This Also Is Normal.
Noticed Algae Not As Progressive On Glass.
Noticed White FROTHY Bubbles In The Collection Cup, Passing Through The Lid And Running Down The Skimmer.

Now, If The Water Is Running Right Through The Seal Of The Lid, And Now FROTH Is FOAMING Through The Lid On The Collection Cup, Is This OK?

Im Thinking It Would Defeat The Purpose Of Skimming, No?

I Tried Screwing Around With The Skimmer, Nothing.
I Tried Cleaning The Skimmer, Nothing.
I Tried Taking The Collection Cup Off, Nothing.
I Tried Screwing/Tightening The Lid On, Nothing.

Does Anyone Else Experience This?
I Thought All The Foam Is Suppose To Stay In The Cup, Mind You The Foam is So Clear.
Is It Because There Is So Much Foam In The Cup, It's Finding It Way Between The Lid & The Cup?
Any Ideas?

Vincenzo.

here is an image, so you understand more...

this ever happen to anyone?

beertech

Yep, it happened to me recently, right before my tank went totally cloudy from a huge bacterial die off. I had to do a water change and use carbon to clear it up. Be very careful with sugar dosing.  Turn off your skimmer for a day or 2 until things settle. Keep testing your water and be prepared for another cycle.

Vincenzo.

Quote from: beertech on October 01, 2009, 11:46:52 PM
Yep, it happened to me recently, right before my tank went totally cloudy from a huge bacterial die off. I had to do a water change and use carbon to clear it up. Be very careful with sugar dosing.  Turn off your skimmer for a day or 2 until things settle. Keep testing your water and be prepared for another cycle.

ya u run carbon 24/7. and i just changed up my carbon today.
i'll turn my skimmer off now, for 2 days. and we'll see what happens when i turn it back on.
thanks!

mikerobart

I've heard the carbon dosing can make your skimmer go crazy but skimming wetter is one way to not get that dry foam everywhere I think.

Vincenzo.

Day 6
Turned skimmer off.
Noticed next to no algae on glass.
Dosed cal

Day 7
Skimmer still off.
Still no algae on glass.
Little cyano starting again.
Dosed cal

Day 8
Try to turn skimmer on, broken...leaking all over the place.
Still no skimmer, so i unplugged.
Dose cal

Day 9
Cleaned very well skimmer and re built it. Plugged it in and its working great. Frothing after about 2 hours
Cyano still on bottom
Dose cal

Day 10
Checked this morning and noticed string baccteria in collection cup.
Little less cyano
Dose cal
DOSE SUGAR again starting today.