Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Flow within your tank...

Started by Hookup, September 15, 2009, 02:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hookup

Here's an article that I thought was interesting... I got to researching flow patterns for my big tank and found this... it's the 5th in a 5 part series, which I read all of, but bottom line, flow is very important for corals, more so than light when we consider all corals, not all of them need light but all of them need flow... (articles 1, 2 & 3)  and fluid dynamics is a good way to describe flow... given that's what it is.. (article 4)..

Article 5 - mass flow patterns in reef tanks.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature

The major draw back to these articles is that they do not discuss the role that flow plays in our tanks with respect to keeping detrititus suspended.... That concept is simply not discussed, therefore we are left to draw our own conclusions about how to best achieve this.

This article has caused a major design change to my system and the flow patterns that I want to create.  The core of the change is that I want to get all of the water moving (mass water movement) in a pattern/direction and be able to then reverse the direction.  Two closed loops can do that by having one CL move the water from left to right, and the other move it from right to left.. (it's more than that but that's the basic idea).

Additional Article Added by VINCE.  same source, though difference seires.  This one is also excellent and is a must read.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/1/lines/view?searchterm=

lost_at_sea

Nice read... along the same lines as what I was planning on trying.

2 high turnover jets along the top in opposite corners switching on the RKL wavemaker circuit every 5-8mins accompanied by 2 lower rate jets (kiddie korner to the high power ones) on the same circuits to try and get a whirlpool effect.

Should be easier on the jets too instead of starting/stopping them every 15-30 seconds like some wavemaker setups.

Vincenzo.

tim you have me spun-out on some of this crap now. i branched off to a few other articles on flow and it's amazing how much i did not know about flow. i knew that you needed a fair about. but i been reading about the true definition of 'random flow' and the other  ... well here...http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/1/lines/view?searchterm=
im sure you prolly read this but this is quite interesting too.

Hookup

NO, I did not see that article series... Dang nabit... more reading, less work... which generally is good, but this week.. argh...

Thanks! That series looks cool... 8)

RossW

Quote from: Hookup on September 16, 2009, 10:31:33 PM
NO, I did not see that article series... Dang nabit... more reading, less work... which generally is good, but this week.. argh...

Thanks! That series looks cool... 8)

I look forward to your "readers digest" version soon ;)

Hookup

Quote from: RossW on September 17, 2009, 08:03:09 AM
I look forward to your "readers digest" version soon ;)

Readers Digest Version for Ross
1. Flow is good: helps take stuff to and from your corals (oxygen, co2, nutrients, waste, etc)

2. Have lots of flow:  yeah.. lots... that's about as specific as anyone can get other than saying X times turnover is pointless.

3. There are lots  of "types" of flow:  sure are... all interesting.  Wave style flow being among the most USELESS btw.

4. Everything else is speculation about what would be the "best" flow: So go back to 1 and guess.

10gnano

thats a pretty broad statement, i think there is still allot to learn about flow, but until we do I agree max out the flow

Vincenzo.

i now think a mixture of a few types is deff the best in my eyes.

Vincenzo.

one thing that maddens me, but not really is...

what about for nano tanks? since i closed all other tanks of any size and am down to 2 small nanos it's hard to get the flow im looking for. without ripping the tanks to hell. in one i have the return + K1 and it's aimed upwards to create a 'wave/ripple' cause if i aim it anywhere stuff will detach, or get blown away or sand storm. i would like more mid & lower level flow, but its hard. size & gph is a issue. also i would like to create some sort of circular flow. but dont know how dealing with the size of the tank, and it getting jam bellied with corals. and my other tank i have the return + K Nano and it still does not seem like enough. but i can handle it. i hate the fact of a tank having 1+ dead zones. so i try every so often to re position the pumps, but then it just creates it some where else. it's hard to figure it out. the more rock you add, resistance is created there, so it takes away from another area.

they need to come up with some creation where flow is pushed up from the bottom of the tank and still have a sand bed. have 2 bottom. power heads on each side of the tank. then 2 from the directly the top aiming down. all with controllers to + / - gph individually, on indy timers, possible to not use one if wanted, and with some sort or swivel/turning action like a sea squirt. plus all of your normal plumbing / closed loop system.

^now that would be bonkers.

Hookup

Quote from: 10gnano on September 17, 2009, 07:43:56 PM
thats a pretty broad statement, i think there is still allot to learn about flow, but until we do I agree max out the flow

hey 10g...

what parts are you concerned about being "too broad"?

Vincenzo.

has anyone tried the: carlson surge device ?
seems simple to make.

BTW check this tank out :D
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/3/aquarium/view?searchterm=creating%20random%20flow