Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

how long one must leave a tank fallow

Started by bongo, September 09, 2009, 09:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bongo

when you get an ick outbreak...

I heard and read that you have to leave your tank fallow for 31 days

then again some say 6 weeks?

31 days is coming up this Saturday... should I wait 6 weeks?

Rybren

According to WetWebMedia, the fallow period should be 8 weeks.  Others may have differing opinions.

Never tried it myself.
120G Reef

Hookup

6 to 8 weeks is required.  Therefore, as above, 8 weeks is required.

bluepointer

A few months ago, I was in the same position, it is a huge pain and not very easy on the patience, but can you imagine if you wait 6 weeks and it comes back? I ended up waiting 8 weeks to be sure and I think it was the right decision. My tanks are thankfully completely ich free. 

JD

It would be nice to have a 100% ich free system. Only problem is how easy it is to reintroduce it. After doing your 8 weeks be sure to 100% quarantine everything.
Good luck! :)

Hookup

Quote from: JD on September 14, 2009, 05:01:54 AM
100% quarantine everything.

To clarify what everthing means...

EVERYTHING  ;D
- new rock (not the dead/dry stuff, only new live/semi-live stuff)
- new corals
- new inverts (snails, crabs, shrimp, etc)
- new fish (quickly with copper, wait a week, get them feeding, them move them)
- new cheato/macro algaes
- new sand (not the dry stuff, only wet/live sand)

And since you cannot use copper on most of the above, well anything other than fish infact, you'll have to setup your QT and run it for 8 weeks to be sure to keep ICK out of your system.  Which, for corals, means getting enough light, stability of system, etc...

As said, Good luck!  :)

Severum

I ran my tank fallow for 6-8 weeks and QTed every fish for 6-8 weeks. My tank should have been ich free but its not. It probably came aboard some snails that I just acclimated to the tank. It seems strange to QT snails for 8 weeks...

In a healthy system, healthy fish will (should) not succumb to ich.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

salvini55

ive been bad and havent QT'd anything. I think im lucky so far but i prolly just jinxed myself  :D. the sad part is that i have a QT... what am i doing!

Hookup

I had a QT.. it added 20gallons of system volume... that's it... I set it up so I could use it as additional volume, yet turn some valves and create an isolated system if and when I needed QT... it never got used... :) 

QT'ing is a PITA... Diping corals for flat worms, etc.. is good.. something I need to start doing.. i'm lucky so far... I have ICK, but it's completely controlled... never lost a fish to it in almost a year... red-bugs were eliminated no issues... but flatworms worry me... dipp'ing is mandatory at this point...

bongo

any advice on sanitizing nets and a python?

Hookup

I do not do this often, but have done it...

make a strong solution of bleach.. as strong as you like... I am cheap, so I go 4:1 water:bleach... soak for a while.. sometimes I get lazy and soak for a few days, but i'm sure within 30sec it's all dead..   rinse in hot water... repeat... soak in a bathtub of hot water... hot water helps break down the bleach... when you cannot smell it anymore you're good.. usually 3 "soakings" does it for me...  I usually forget the stuff and it soaks in hot water for a day... then I empty, fill with hot water again, and forget it for another day.. 3 days go by, cause I keep forgetting it.. and everything is good...

bongo

does leaving nets and python dry for two weeks kill ich?

Vincenzo.

im not sure, but you could dip it in boiling ro/di water.

Hookup

bongo

hmmm boiling water for the net ok but for the 50 foot python...

I just hope that I get rid of that darn ich once I do all this waiting and cleaning... and waiting

Hookup

I hope you are successful.  There certainly are some people who claim they have staied ICK free following those processes.

Tim