Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

dead fish

Started by bongo, October 18, 2009, 10:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bongo

I bought a Coral beauty not too long ago and it died of ich two days after

I bought a Yellow Tang last Friday and it died of ich today

now both fish were Qt alone and preventively treated with cupramine

I'm 100% sure there was no cross contamination since I've sanitized everything more than once

both fish were bought from the same place and just arrived when I bought them

all my other fish pass QT

lesson learned never buy a fish that just arrived even though it less expensive than at another place

barabe

I use Kordon Ich Attack. It is 100% organic for all types of external and epidermal single-celled infections. It stops infections and external parasitic invasions and prevents many secondary infections. Ich Attack treats diseases caused by: Ich, Fungus, Protozoans, and Dinoflagellates. It will not harm eggs, plants, or reef aquariums. It is only available from Big Al's online store.

pinoy

sorry about your loss

If you can buy a fish from an independent reef hobbyist then so much the better.

jimskoi

Never buy fish the first day arrive.Always give them a couple days.If you do than you are taking a chance.Some fish are more prone to the stress from shipping than others.Its usually the first  24 hrs thats the hardest for the fish.
Corals and inverts.Not a problem.

Hookup

Quote from: barabe on October 18, 2009, 11:34:50 AM
I use Kordon Ich Attack. It is 100% organic for all types of external and epidermal single-celled infections. It stops infections and external parasitic invasions and prevents many secondary infections. Ich Attack treats diseases caused by: Ich, Fungus, Protozoans, and Dinoflagellates. It will not harm eggs, plants, or reef aquariums. It is only available from Big Al's online store.

I'll definately keep my eyes and ears open for more info confirming this product, it's effectiveness and effect on reef-systems.  To date, I've heard of nothing other than Hyposalinity or Copper to treat ICK... This would be a MAJOR breakthru in the hobbie... skeptical but fingers crossed for sure.

OttawaReefer

no copper?  This would be an awesome product if it works. 

jimskoi

Copper does work in a QT tank but its really hard of the fish.
I used Melafix marine in one of my full reefs and it worked great on fungus.I never had ick so im not sure if it will work for that.I never lost a single invert or coral using it.

Hookup

Quote from: Hookup on October 19, 2009, 11:41:32 AM
I'll definately keep my eyes and ears open for more info confirming this product, it's effectiveness and effect on reef-systems.  To date, I've heard of nothing other than Hyposalinity or Copper to treat ICK... This would be a MAJOR breakthru in the hobbie... skeptical but fingers crossed for sure.

I've searched on the places I know of, RC, WWM, other forums,and the only info I get is random people who claim to have success.  Nothing scientific that I could find, other than the above stated methods.  Does anyone have anything other than someone, somewhere, posting their own non-controlled results using this product?

lost_at_sea

The Marine Depot review threads for the product are very hit and miss, either 5 star or no stars