Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Raising clownfish !

Started by mikerobart, October 20, 2009, 02:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikerobart

My clownfish seem to be spawning regularily in my 90g display. Their most recent group of eggs also seems to be much larger than the previous.. which I am taking as a good sign.

I almost feel a desire to try to raise some of these in a separate tank. I have not done extensive reading yet but would like to hear a bit from you guys. I know we have some breeders in the area.. any advice or tips / tricks here? I am not looking for profit just sort of a challenge and would likely give away those I couldn't keep.

Other than my 90g, I only have a 29g and a 10g that could be used.

Is it as simple as placing something on the rock where the clowns lay their eggs so I can remove the eggs to another tank just before they hatch, and culturing rotifers in the fry tank until they are big enough for live shrimp etc?

Chances are I will not have the time to dedicate to this endeavour anytime soon but let's see what you guys have to say.

Tyler.L

lol its way to much work its a full time job on its own the first success rate is maybe 80% dead within the first 24 hours and so on and so on but it gets better down the road pick up joyce wilkersons clownfish book if you wanna raise them but theres alot of work i say steer clear unless thats all you wanna do...

mikerobart

ahhh I see no idea it was that difficult! Perhaps I will have a looky at the book though thanks.

Tyler.L

i can lend you my book if you want....

mikerobart

Thanks for the offer Tyler I'll keep in mind. Jim awesome thread you linked there.

aumontmatthew

I also have this book for sale if you are interested.