Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What is the best way to move a 180gal salt water tank?

Started by Pickoff, March 07, 2004, 02:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pickoff

I just introduced myself to the salt water hobby by purchasing a 180gal.  Talk about diving into it...what is the best way to move my new purchase?

The tank currently has live rock and sand, and some cheap fish (damsels and a couple of old tangs).  The tank also has quite a bit of algae on the glass due to a lack of maintenance.  Can it be removed and how?

saltydog

I suggest 4 men & a van or station wagon. Use cardboard under the glass to cushion during transit. Small rugs are handy if you need to set the tank on end to negotiate tight corners when moving it. You can simply slide it (& carpet) around without scratching glass or floors.

With respect  to the algae, if it is coralline algae (red or purple) I would leave it on (except front panel). Marine aquarists endeavor to cultivate this type of algae. If it is green algae then scrape it off with a razor blade or similar tool available at LFS.

Transport the sand in buckets with less than 12" of sand in each one to avoid crushing creatures living in it. If you want more sand in the tank than is present now this would be the time to add some. (Put in on the bottom with the old sand on top.) If you want a reef tank then you may want sand which is less coarse than some of the varieties of crushed coral which are sold). When refilling the tank with dechorinated premixed salt water (specific gavity 1.21) lay a sheet of glass, plexi, or plywood onto the sandbed before adding the water to avoid clouding the water excessively.

Transport the live rock in buckets also (if you have enough of them).
Make sure that the rock structure that you create with them is stable & does not interfere with your ability to easily clean the front & (if desired) side panels of glass. In general put larger pieces on the bottom & smaller coralline encrusted ones at the top.
-thankful for a tankfull-

Pickoff

I took your advise and things looks pretty good so far.  It's been a week since the move.  Thanks Salty