New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Plants

Started by PineHill, July 03, 2008, 04:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PineHill

What kind of plants would do well in a tanganyika tank?  Thanks

markw

If you're tang tank is buffered correctly(ie. high ph. and hardness) then most plants don't thrive in that environment. Having said that, depending on which types of tangs you have, some plants will work. I have had lots of success with java fern. Either they hate the taste of it or its just too tough to munch on makes it survive. I also have some big amazon swords in with my cyps and tricotis. I tried amazons with some tropheus and they lasted about two days before being totally consumed! Even though I hate the idea, I have had to use artificial plants in some tanks to provide cover for fry.

synodontis

I have anubias in my African tank.  They are thriving and the cichlids leave then alone.

new2H2O

this is a pretty good article related to this topic. I am actually about to get started on a planted african tank...thanks BigDaddy...and have been doing some research.

http://www.mchportal.com/fishkeeping-mainmenu-60/aquascaping-the-home-mainmenu-176/117-aquascaping-the-home/52-planted-tank-mbuna-tropical-fish-dutch-aquarium.html

good luck!!!!

LitZer

In my fish tank, I only put some silk plants. I put these artificial plants because it is easy to clean and I really like the color of it. I am going to clean my tank today and add more decoration on it. Artificial Trees

dpatte

I have all types of living plants in my tanganyika tanks. But my tanks are not hard water, and my tangs are mostly smaller varieties. Anubuas, java ferns, crypts, amazons, hornwort, etc.
1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.

ordi260

In ma african cichlid tank i have many hygrophila and they are growing like crazy...maybe one or two of my fish are eating them...but hey who cares really...those guys grow so fast...the minute they are consumed they have regrown already! 

Let me know if you want some, im constantly trashing some due extreme growth...See my For free classified for more info!

good day!

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

Rhacodactylus Ciliatus

Java Ferns are close to indestructible.  ;D They'd be the first live plant of choice in my opinion.