New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What eles to feed my Malawi cichlids

Started by Cbellehumeur, May 06, 2010, 02:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cbellehumeur

Right now they get pellets. i feed my pleco flakes...which the cichlids normally have eaten before it ever hits bottom. I thought it would be a nice treat to feed them some frozen brine shrimp....not....they didn't like it at all. I also tried krill...didn't like them either. What do other people normally give there cichlids as a nice treat once in awhile?

Brent Shaver

I find the best time to drop your algae tabs is right after feeding time, they usually wont hit as hard.

As far as a treat, get yourself some romain lettuce, and depending on how many  you have you freeze the leafs as needed put them on the side wall with a suction clip, once the leaf is gone and only the white rib is left, replace it and wait or replace it right away.  Worse case you have to change the water more often to waste, but they do love it.

I have 30 and I give 2 leaves a week.   If you have a low number I would suggest monitoring the leaf so it doesnt rot.

I just ran a post simular and the information given was a great help, it was sugested to me the way I discribed it, so cant take the credit, but great snack for sure and not expensice.

Just dont forget to freeze the leaves before, otherwise they wont touch it or alot slower.  I have tried both.

Hope this helps.