Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

baby skunk cleaner shrimp? Possible?

Started by a1a2a3alex, February 25, 2010, 11:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1a2a3alex

Hi all,

I recently found some baby skunk cleaner shrimps ... still just hatched.  I know it's no krill because it has a white dot (if they grow up it'll be the skunk line).  However, I only have 1 cleaner shrimp ... is it possible that it reproduce by itself?  Often every 3-4 weeks she has eggs at her feets but I didn't know they will turn to baby shrimps without fertilization  ???

Thx

Vincenzo.

from what i understand they wont last, all falling prey as food.

bongo

I second that

I had them and they became snackfood  for the fishes

Hookup

Quote from: a1a2a3alex on February 25, 2010, 11:47:14 PM
Hi all,

I recently found some baby skunk cleaner shrimps ... still just hatched.  I know it's no krill because it has a white dot (if they grow up it'll be the skunk line).  However, I only have 1 cleaner shrimp ... is it possible that it reproduce by itself?  Often every 3-4 weeks she has eggs at her feets but I didn't know they will turn to baby shrimps without fertilization  ???

Thx

No idea, but you seem to have some strong evidence that it is possible... pretty cool for sure...   I'd start a photo-write up on RC and see if you catch the attention of some biologists who can confirm the situation as common or unique.

QueensU

I've had them breed and release shrimp fry into my tank too. They don't survive though, and from what I have read, are almost to impossible to culture in captivity.
As far as a single shrimp breeding, are you sure they are not just unfertilized eggs?

Hookup

Shrimp reproducing in the aquarium is no big deal, though it is a sign of doing things very-right...  I'm looking for a 6-10 shrimp for my fuge to breed and act as a food-source... not sure if that is politically correct, but meh.

Still no idea if they can reproduce alone... like chicken eggs...

QueensU

How long has the shrimp been in your tank? Could it possibly have been "knocked up" at the LFS and released fry in your aquarium?

[attachment deleted by admin]

QueensU

Forgot to add a caption, those are pics of when mine bred. The pic of the shrimp is when it was full of eggs, and the blurry crap pic is when the eggs were released. They release the eggs just after lights out, (about 30-60mins) I flicked the lights back on to snap a couple pics of all the shrimp babies.

a1a2a3alex

Quote from: QueensU on February 27, 2010, 11:57:15 AM
How long has the shrimp been in your tank? Could it possibly have been "knocked up" at the LFS and released fry in your aquarium?

I have this shrimp for over 6 months.  I still see lots of baby shrimps.  My tank has only 3 fishes: 2 nemos (just eat pellets only, doesn't care about live food) and 1 foxface (also eats pellets, doesn't even eat my hair algae!).  So, these little baby shrimps have lots of chances and once it gets bigger, I can confirm whether it is or not skunk shrimps.

Lex

QueensU

Not to be pessimistic, but I doubt any shrimp will survive past a few weeks. Unless you are culturing with live phyto, live rotifers and then something like brine shrimp, they will never survive. Even then, from what I have read, its nearly impossible to culture cleaner shrimps.

salvini55

I can back up the fact that the shrimp can reproduce on its own. I came to a similar conclusion, I have two cleanershrimp that release a clutch of baby shrimp each, every month or so maybe more. Its harder to decide whats actually going on since I have two but they definitely rear their own separate clutches and release them right after lights out.

mikerobart

They are hermaphroditic but I thought it needed to be another shrimp that fertiziles the eggs ? Maybe they can fertilize their own eggs that'd be nuts.

Hookup

Quote from: mikerobart on February 28, 2010, 02:54:08 PM
They are hermaphroditic but I thought it needed to be another shrimp that fertiziles the eggs ? Maybe they can fertilize their own eggs that'd be nuts.

pun intended or no? :o :o :o      ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

mikerobart

salvini55

a1a2a3alex

you guys are right ... all the babies shrimp have been either eaten or die due to starvation :(  Oh well, there will be a next batch in a month or two.

QueensU

For some reason, mine only spawned once, and didnt spawn again (or havent since like 6 months).