Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Lunar Aqualight Fan Replacement - Coralife

Started by Fairlakes, February 13, 2010, 11:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fairlakes

Bought this unit for my aquarium, but the fan is so loud.

Where can I find a fan replacement that will not make noise??

Please help!!

Thanks!!!!

johnrt

Well since Active Electronics and the ADD near Parkdale Market closed their doors. I think all we have left is:

Reset Electronics Inc
www.resetelectronics.com
1050 Baxter Road
Ottawa, ON K2C 3P1
(613) 596-5544

After that, it will be online shops only.
Support your L_S  (Local - fill in the blank - Store)

charmed1

Active Electronics did not close, they moved, they are now across from the red lobster on mervale in the new mall there.   :)

johnrt

"Active Electronics did not close, they moved, they are now across from the red lobster on mervale in the new mall there."

Good. Closing has become so common that it never occurred to me that someone might move.

charmed1

I was glad thad they did not close also, they are in a nice new location :),  still carrying all the good stuff  ;D

Saltcreep

Princess Auto is also an option. I've had great success with the computer-type cooling fans they always have around. If you find they're a little noisy or 'whiny', try supplying just a bit less than their specified voltage. You may have to experiment some to find a suitable fan/voltage/wiring combination. Just play around with different fans, voltages, and sometimes wiring up a few fans in series (or, a combination of parallel and series). If you slow them down too much, they'll just stop. Neat thing is they're dirt cheap and you really can't hurt them.

As for finding one that "will not make noise", don't forget you are moving air. Even the laptop I'm sitting at is making enough fan noise to be heard and it doesn't move very much air.

All part of the fun of DIY.