Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Converting Measurements to Volume?

Started by Stevie, March 11, 2004, 08:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevie

Okay Class, Math Quiz :?: :  How do you convert measurements to gallons?  My new tank is 72x22x22.  So what is that in Imperial Gallons?  

Stevie :lol:

Marc

length * width * height (all measured in inches) / 231 will give you the tank volume in US gallons.

In this case 72 * 22 * 22 / 231 = 150 US gallons

I'm not sure about Imperial gallons.

dpatte

Official, no country uses imperial gallons anymore, though Canada did before we went metric. In fact, there are only two countries in the world that are not official metric (out of over 150 countries) - the USA, and Liberia - they both use US gallons.

To convert US gallons to Imperial gallons multiply by exactly 4/5

How are you enjoying your 120 gallon tank :)

Poustic

Another useful tool for conversions of all kinds:  http://www.onlineconversion.com

You get:
   34848 cubic inch = 150.8571429 gallon [US, liquid] = 125.614849 gallon [UK]

and:
   5 gallon [US, liquid] = 4.1633709 gallon [UK]  (so, close to 4 : 5)

:o

artw

now if only it was that easy to convert USD/CDN.  At least gallons stay the same.

Stevie

Okay, thanks guys.  That sounds about right - the guy I bought it from said 130 gallons but when I tried to convert it, I came up with 93 gallons which is considerably smaller.  Haven't set it up yet, but boy do I have plans!!!  Just gotta wait until I have some extra money for filter, heaters, rocks, etc.
Stevie