Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Dealing with brichardis

Started by dpatte, February 25, 2010, 06:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpatte

In the past couple of years i was breeding brichardis. For various reasons, age, blown heater, etc, i lost one fish in each of my three breeding pairs. Though my fry have grown out, i'm of course getting no new spawns from my 3 remaining brichardis that are still in their own tanks alone (and wasting space and resources).

I'd like to try to try to re-match a pair or hopefully a even get a trio from my remaining three brichardis, but here is the problem....

1 - Adult brichardis are quite aggressive towards each other especially if there are two males.
2 - I can't tell you the sex of my 3 remaining brichardis - they might all be males (25% chance if my math is right)

What would people recommend as a way of introducing the three together and hoping for some match without the three killing each other while they check each other out?
1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.

fischkopp

Quote from: dpatte on February 25, 2010, 06:23:10 PM
2 - I can't tell you the sex of my 3 remaining brichardis - they might all be males (25% chance if my math is right)

I can't help much with brichardis, but the odds are 12.5% -  just in case it makes you feel better. :)

Good Luck!
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

dpatte

12.5% - lol - true enough.

I was thinking of the chances that they are all the same sex - that works out to 25%
1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.

dpatte

I've decided to put them all into a 75g tank that has about a dozen demasoni and a 18 1.5" yellow labs. With all that activity, they may be too busy to bother each other or anyone unless they make pairs.
Good plan?

markw

One thing is now for sure...if you have a female in the group, and you put them in a tank together, they will soon take the tank over, unless you have very hungry piranhas in there.

dpatte

True. But if they pair, i'll remove them to their own tank.

Until then, the activity in the tank should keep their aggression down.

pegasus

Good morning David,
If those are the same brichardis I knew, you just put them up in a luxury retirement home. Joke aside, I never seen the formation of new pair after they had lost their fist mate, maybe because I waited to long to re-introduce them and they had lost all interest in the thing. Deja-vu: mine were also a trio, put up in a 80 gal. tank, aggression to a minimum and they died of old age. I did the same with leleupi with same result. To your question... I think it will all depend on their being young or old pups.
Good luck, may we see each other at the auction.
Michel

dpatte

Status Update: I followed my plan, and each brichardi now has its own territory, and there is no fighting between them. :)

Quote from: dpatte on February 26, 2010, 07:25:38 AM
I've decided to put them all into a 75g tank that has about a dozen demasoni and a 18 1.5" yellow labs. With all that activity, they may be too busy to bother each other or anyone unless they make pairs.
Good plan?