Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Acrylic in Ottawa?

Started by HomerJ, March 12, 2010, 07:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HomerJ

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy acrylic in Ottawa?  I'm looking for 1/4" and 3/8", in large sheets ideally (2x4 minimum, but 2x8 or 4x4 would be great).

Figured I might give a shot to building my own sump.

beertech

Canus plastics on Lisgar St.

Brine

yup Canus
http://www.canusplastics.com/
Sheets that big and that thick are expensive...I don't think you'll get a better price than Canus but they won't be cheap dude.

JetJumper

3/8's ranges from $8/sq ft to $15/sq ft I have seen.  Its expensive as hell :(
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

HomerJ

Yeah, I know the 3/8" will be expensive.  It wasn't clear from my initial posting, but luckily, I don't need a lot of the 3/8", it's mostly to build jigs for my router and table saw.  I can probably get away with 4 sq feet at the most.

1/4" is what I'll use for the sump, which should be more reasonable.  I was thinking it would be less wasteful to buy large sheets, but if it's cheaper to buy off-cuts, I'll consider it.  I guess this is where planning ahead is important!

Thanks for the tips, the name of the place rings a bell for some reason, but I'm positive I have never been there!

KrazieCanuck

Rona sells sheets of acrylic as well.  That was where I picked up my sheets for making my sump baffles.  The one on Hunt Club / Merivale is where I bought it and they had a pretty good selection of different sizes and thickness.  It was in the back corner where they have the lumber and do the custom cutting.  Not sure how price compares to Canus, but it wasn't too bad.  Still expensive but not bad.

Aquaviewer

Price per/sq/ft is much higher at Rona and HD.

Canus is a good choice.  It is also worth checking with Advanced Plastics of Ottawa on Canotek.  http://www.plasticsofottawa.com but I'm not sure if they will sell smaller sheets.

APO gave me a much better price on full sheets 1/4" than Canus and Canus won't price match.

Over the years I found variability in $$ between the two (Canus better than APO or APO better than Canus) for different thicknesses and colours so it is worth checking with each.
Rainbows, plecos, corydoras, killifish, Apistogramma