Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

OVAS donates aquarium to school

Started by charlie, April 21, 2010, 12:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

The club is pleased to announce the donation of a 38 gallon starter kit to Century public school - Grade 4 class /room 23 led by Mr. Scott Mackin.
Mr. Mackin had done a class project called "Habitats", that science project was made possible by a loaner aquarium from a parent as a result the kids of that class & other classes fell in love with the tank, through this generous donation from OVAS the class now have it`s own tank.
Mr. Mackin has promised to update me with pictures & reports as time go by, this will be shared here, myself & mseguin was there today to hand over the kit , Matt has promised to return next week to assist the students & teachers with the transfer.
The loaner tank is presently home to some guppies & Mr. Mackin has asked if anyone would like to donate any other compatible fish they would be happy to receive them , perhaps some cories ,bushy nose pleco,otto cats, if you would like to donate please contact me or mseguin.
Here is a picture with Mr. Mackin another teacher & 2 of the students.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Severum

Great work OVAS! Giving back to the community and fostering young aquarium enthusiasts!  :)
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

ajm1961

Thanks Errol, Matt, and the OVAS Executive for making this happen.
Great initiative!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

ordi260

That's what im talking about!!!  I please myself saying that my annual membership (small) fee allowed us to buy a little part of the kit to help out the kids :)

Keep up the good work  :)

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

holachicka

oh wow - this is a great idea! love it, love it, love it!!!

cichlidicted

well i hope they enjoy going to schoool now, i would  ;D.

thats a very kind move from ovas exec.

Blackstitch

Rybren

Great idea.  Glad you folks decided to do this.
120G Reef

Nerine

I am sure they are loving it!!! :) I know I enjoyed going to class with fish tanks in the room!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

White Lightning

charlie

Quote from: charlie on April 21, 2010, 12:24:52 PM
The loaner tank is presently home to some guppies & Mr. Mackin has asked if anyone would like to donate any other compatible fish they would be happy to receive them , perhaps some cories ,bushy nose pleco,otto cats, if you would like to donate please contact me or mseguin.
FYI , i have received pledged donations of Cherry shrimp -thanks Brent Shaver & a Albino Bushynose -thanks Fishbuddy.( will be in touch to finalize.)

Vincenzo.

boombap, good idea.

what about gravel? wood? lava rocks? anything else they need?

sas

Great move. I'm liking the new ideas the exec. are coming up with.
Good job everyone and thanks.

mseguin

They had gravel and some rocks, once we're done setting it up and I'll post about anything else they need.

mseguin

Well the tank is set up now. Thanks to ajm for donating the proceeds from his auction sales to the tank, and to fishbuddy for donating some java moss and driftwood. We went shopping last night and picked up some fish. Added to their collection now are 3 pineapple swords, 5 black neons, 1 lyretail guppy, and 3 punctatus cories. I had to leave before the fish could go back in the tank, but added we want to see some pictures when its up and running.

charlie

Quote from: mseguin on April 28, 2010, 08:06:52 PM
Well the tank is set up now. Thanks to ajm for donating the proceeds from his auction sales to the tank, and to fishbuddy for donating some java moss and driftwood. We went shopping last night and picked up some fish. Added to their collection now are 3 pineapple swords, 5 black neons, 1 lyretail guppy, and 3 punctatus cories. I had to leave before the fish could go back in the tank, but added we want to see some pictures when its up and running.
Just to add Fishbuddy also donated a bushynose pleco which is to be delivered by me sometime next week since i was unable to be there today.