Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tank is leaking

Started by Olivia Letemplier, March 12, 2010, 09:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olivia Letemplier

Hi there,

I'm new to the fish owning world and am looking for some advice.  We have a 35 gallon hexagon shaped tank that just started leaking this morning.  Is it better to purchase a new tank or is there a place that I can contact to repair it? 

dpatte

it certainly could be repaired using silicone cement (using only the type designed for aquariums). But you would have to empty the tank to fix it. If its leaking slowly only at one join, it would fairly easy to fix.

1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.

veron

dpatte

I thnk you just want to buy it from her :)

Quote from: veron on March 12, 2010, 12:23:53 PM
IMO, replace it. :)
1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.

Nerine

haha

or depending on how old the tank is...you can strip the whole thing and resilicone the whole thing...I don't trust patch jobs and just re do the whole tank lol I'm working on siliconing a tank right now :)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

ciaus

+1 Replace it BEFORE it fails completely...

JD

My choice would be to replace the tank.

If you decide to fix it, keep in mind it will probably not look as good as it did and you will worry about it.

Once it starts leaking...failure is likely...soon.

ordi260

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

Rob Labonte

replace it and use it for a nice terrarium.

Olivia Letemplier

Does anyone want it?  I replaced the tank (and I now have other problems with the fish which is a work in progress) but am willing to give the tank away if anyone wants it.  Hexagon shaped tanks are more expensive from what I understand and if it can be re-sealed and re-used, then why not?

ordi260

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

Rob Labonte

check your pm's. ill def take that tank and turn it into a nice terrarium.

Olivia Letemplier