Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Rave for Canus Plastics in Ottawa

Started by ciaus, April 07, 2010, 09:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciaus

Water is evaporating so fast from my rimless aquarium that I decided I needed a tank cover of some sort.  Checked with Hagen, the manufacturer, and they do not offer anything for the rimless aquariums, but that is hardly a surprise, given the style of the tank.

So I thought cheap...coroplast, basically a plastic that is like corrugated cardboard, not pretty, but cheap and effective.  Eighteen dollars for a 4X8X3/16 sheet.  comes in a variety of opaque colors as well as a translucent white.  I even had visions of using the illustrious duct tape as a hinge between a front and rear piece!   ;D ;D

So I find my way to the Canus Plastics store front in downtown, circle a few times for parking and go into the store.  ( they are moving to the industrial park off of Walkley and th e417 in two weeks so check the website for the address....

I tell the guy behind the counter what Im trying to do, give him the size and he says...instead of coroplast will you take this 3/8" plastice sheet instead....10 bucks and it is yours.  Well heck ya, (not the word I actually used)....He even cut the piece for my hinge, sold me the three hinges and bonded it all together for me.  Twenty five dollars all in!  The material alone he told me usually sells for 12 dollars a square foot....

Great service, fun, friendly, professional, and very willing to take the time to understand what I was attempting.  It help I was able to tell him what I needed, as he said it was refreshing to have a project he could understand and that made sense to him....I guess they get a goodly amount of "foot traffic" and there were a few jokes bantered about concerning "arsty farsty types"

Any ways, I also saw a pile of stuff that if I were so disposed I could spend my time finding problems that they could fix with the stuff in that store....Looked like a great place for water tubs/barrells....pvc piping and fittings...

I will definitely be shopping with them again.

Ciaus

HomerJ

I had good service there too, will definitely go back!

Stussi613

I've never dealt with them for aquarium stuff, but I wanted to make a reverse mounting ring for my DSLR to do macro photography and needed to cut the center out of a cap that goes over the lens opening of the camera when no lens is attached...took it over there and they drilled it out for me with the specialized equipment they have and cleaned it up better than I would have been able to do it on my own.  When I asked how much the guy laughed at me and said they couldn't charge me for something like that.  I gave them $5 to buy a couple of coffees.  I would highly recommend these guys as well, excellent service and the prices seem to be inline with what others would charge, but with way more experience.
I haz reef tanks.

Vincenzo.

I had great service to. When i built my own tank...they hooked me up with a cheaper price, made all the cuts...then for free tossed in the bonding agent, 4 sheets of acrylic (3'x3') and a few odds and ends.