Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Lighting on a makeover project!

Started by kerisb, April 12, 2010, 10:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerisb

I aquired a 90 gallon tank and stand about a month ago.   Wasn't real fond of the stand so something else.   Aquired another stand from a forum member (for free....thanks again Ron aka rockgarden).    So to make a long story short.....I am in the process of redoing the stand.......doing it all in oak......using free stand as the skeleton I guess and using the oak to dress it up!!!   Well that part is going really well.   

Now I am looking to build a canopy for it out of the same oak, however I have a few questions and am wondering what other people might have done or any thoughts they may have.

The tank I am working with has the center support bracket and has two seperate glass lids which hinge to acess the tank.

The canopy I will be building will be made of oak plywood.  And as of right now I don't have a light for this tank.

My questions are:

With building the canopy out of oak, is there something I should be considering lining it with because of the moisture factor or do you think it would be fine the way it is.     Still not sure whether I will have a fully emclosed canopy or just a fake front and sides.

The next question is what type of lighting could I go with, it is a fresh water tank and as of yet I have never had any real plants so not going that route for now anyways.   Are normal household flourescent light fixtures ok for this or is there something specific with aquarium lights that I should have.

I have seen the led submersible lights but have never really seen any comments on how well they work or problems with them.   The other thought I have been playing with is....the rope lights (the kind that you see at christmas time)  the little lights that are in the clear tubing that you can wrap around stuff.............thought maybe I could install them around the inside perimeter of the canopy..........any thought or pros or cons snyone could think of with these?

Any and all comments would be great.............I have not started the canopy nor any lighting set up yet so throw all your thoughts this way please...............never know what we could end up with here!!!

Thanks, Kerry

Brent Shaver

As far as the rope lights, not sure they would be bright enough but should you go with this make sure you have all your connections FAR from moisture.

I have used these for drums and of course drummers are the sweatest people on earth and I cooked a couple sets until I got everything out of the way of water or moisture.

A light fixture DIY flouresent should work as I have used them before but I would make sure it is sitting on a piece of glass to make sure it stays dry as they are not rated for outdoor use ie moisture.

Hope this helps

Fishnut

To prevent lots of moisture from getting at the wood, you could add a glass top over the tank and add the wood cap on top...maybe leave the back open for some air circulation.  Post your questions in the DIY section so that the people who have the most experience with it will see the post and give you more insight.

Lighting for plants is usually more involved that the flouresc. tubes you see in hardware stores.  Not all lighting is for all plants.  For the best answers, post your question about that in the planted tank section.  The plant gurus will help you figure out what to do for the type of plants you want.

The x-mas LED lights in the tube are good for accent/decorative lighting around the outside of the tank, but will add no beneficial light source for plants if you put them on the inside.  The ones that go in the water are also 100% for effect and serve no benefit to any plants.

kerisb

Thanks for the advice on the lid, lights and diy section.    But I was very very lucky today and scored a 48" lid and light today that fits my tank perfectly (actually is an aquarium lid and light)...............the best part...............was a very very good deal at $35.    So now have lots more time to contemplate a homemade canopy for it.

Thanks again,  Kerry