Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

RKL auto top off ideas

Started by ordi260, April 09, 2010, 12:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ordi260

Hi!

Im planning my auto top off...here is the plan:

-Get System lab 2 (ill buy probes later on)
-Get 2 float switches
-Get 1 aqualifter pump

Put the first float at desired level, put second float at a slightly higer level (backup)

Program the reefkeeper lite like this:

Mode: Auto
Function; Controller
Device: SWA
Set Point: 0.5
Hysteresis; 0.1
On When : Below

So if the float is low (water low), aqualifter will turn on and as the float rises(water high) the pump will turn off. For backup , ill connect 2 floats in series and install the other one higher so that if the first float got stuck by a stupid snail or whatever...the second one will shut the pump off.

Im waiting for your feedback to know if this is gonna work properly and if its safe before ordering the stuff!!!

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

ordi260

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

mikerobart

I love my rkl but have never used the float switches with it... I have float switches for ATO with an aqualifter pump and it works great so far but I have no idea about using the float switches with an rkl. I imagine lots of people are using this system though without issue. Maybe try on RC ?

The idea of a set point and hysteresis setting with the float switches confuses me a bit... maybe the DA support forum is another place to look perhaps.

Otherwise looks good I have two switches like you one lower one higher as an emergency backup.

lost_at_sea

The only thing i may say is that the Aqualifter at 3gph can be kinda slow. I'm using it with a JBJ ato which has a 14minute failsafe continues to engage because the aqualifter can't refill the same amount of water that my protein skimmer takes out (when it goes nuts for a few minutes) within 14 minutes.

that being said the RKL doesn't have the timeout but if the floats are 1'' apart in the sump your aqualifter may be trying to replenish water for up to 1hr very easily.

i'm replacing mine with a MJ400.