Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Bow Front vs Flat front.

Started by Brent Shaver, May 03, 2010, 11:18:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent Shaver

I have been looking at the bow fronts for a while, and with going new for this planted tank I was wondering if anyone had any feed back on cleaning issues.

I dont use anything other then a straight blade to clean my fronts as I have had issues with scratches in the past using other items.

I am wondering if I should stay away from the BF, dont want to spend money on a new tank to end up with scratches.

Need Input..smiles

Thanks in advance
Brent
P.S I think I have the wife talked into a 75 gallon now...grins

Cbellehumeur

I have a 46g BF of my SW and i clean all my algae with a magnet cleaner and it work great with the BF. If you're thinking of going with a half-moon thing i don't think that it will work. I've never had a problem with scratching with my magnet cleaner but i don't like mag float cuz i do find it scratches. I'm not sure what kind i use...it's green

yellowtang

I have a 72g bowfront S/W set up. it has been set for almost
4 years.....so far I have no issues with cleaning of algae.
I clean it with a magfloat and sometimes I use a plastic scraper
the only issue I have is taking pictures of it.....it deflects
the flash and far off pictures.
other than that.......seems ok.
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

kerisb

I have a bow front and also use the mag cleaner.   Never really saw the point of the bow fronts or why people paid more for them...........until I got mine..............now it is my favourite tank........not sure what it is about them but they are way more nicer than the straight tanks.                 A 75 gallon bow front.....how gorgeous would that be!!!!!!

Brent Shaver

Quote from: yellowtang on May 03, 2010, 01:17:39 PM
the only issue I have is taking pictures of it.....it deflects
the flash and far off pictures.

When ever I take a picture of either of my tanks the room and other tank goes black, only light is the tank I am taking the shot of.  So would this still offer distorted shots?

If so I am going to have to lean towards a flat front tank.

Thanks
Brent

cokelon

if we talk about taking shots well yes I will lean on the flat tank. the bowfront are gorgeous unfortunately when you look at the price range for flats and bow's and also stands. a lot of people that's why they go with the flats.

I love doing my canopies, stands lighting systems etc. so for me to build a bow canopy might not be happening anytime soon unless I invest in some more tools for my workshop hehe..

B.T.W: I have 2 flats!

kerisb

Yes the price of the bow fronts is very expensive.   When I first saw them I didn't like them, but then got myslef one and to be honest with you it is my favourite one so far.......but it is only a 40 gallon so a little small for my liking.     Would love about a 100 gallon one, but can't afford the price lol

If dollar for dollar you are offered a flat tank or bowfront..................take the bowfront!!!!

Brent Shaver

I have a friend that has a 75 bow with some very large gold fish.  I will have to go over and see if I can get a good shot.  Will post a shot if they turn out, really nice fish.

As for the stand I really want to build my own.  I have the tools so once I have the outline of the tank I decide on I will build the stand.

I am seriously considering putting the tank on the floor and building the stand around it so I can put my TV on it.  I will use marine quality plywood to line the inside walls and top, I will add a couple small computer fans to help keep the moisture down.

Will try and design something this weekend to see if it will look ok.  Will post the drawing when I get it done.

Cbellehumeur

Weird i take pictures of mine all the time....i've never had a problem at all....with any of my 3 cameras. I never knew this was an issue for people. In fact my avatar is of my BF

Brent Shaver

I went out to hit a bucket today with the guy that owns the BF, if the lights are off and you take a night shot I am thinking you could get a half decent shot with the BF.

I now have to wait until we get our car back on the road before I shop for one.  Seems everyplace close that sells tanks doesnt list them on line to get a look.

I have decided to go with a 75 gallon.  I will move my 50 gallon into the bedroom and have the planted tank in the living room, well providing I dont decided to keep it on the floor under the TV...Hmmmm decisions decisions.....