Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Glue for Schedule 80 PVC

Started by HomerJ, April 22, 2010, 04:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HomerJ

Hi all:

Stupid question:  Is there a special glue for Schedule 80 PVC or is it the same for 40 and 80?

Thanks in advance,
Pat

Hookup

No idea.  I think schedule is a sizing measure, not a PVC type.  But I'm not 100% sure.

I mix "GAS" pvc with the schedule 40pvc and have had no issues ever... but the gas designation i'm not sure of, just that the Homedepot guy said it was not sched.40... (60/60 i think??)  Anyhow.. it seems identical for aquarium purposes.

JetJumper

QuoteIn the United States, "Schedule" refers to the thickness of the pipe wall and, therefore, how much pressure it will hold. In most aquaculture applications, Schedule 40 is used because:

1. It works for most applications and is readily available.
2. In small quantities, it is only slightly more expensive than the thinner wall Schedule 120.
3. The wall is thick enough so that it will not distort when walked on.
4. From 1/2" to 2", it is rated at no less than 140 psi at 73°F. The highest pressure typically found at any facility is 65 psi, which is the average city water supply.

Schedule 80 is rated at no less than 200 psi at 73°F (up to 2") and is usually gray (similar to the Schedule 40 pipe used for electrical conduit).

There are very few reasons to ever need such a heavy, costly pipe for aquaculture. The outside diameter (O.D.) is the same on Schedule 120, 40 and 80, so an expensive Schedule 80 fitting could be used on Schedule 120 or 40 pipe, if that's all that was available. As the wall of the pipe gets thicker, the inside diameter (I.D.) gets smaller. With fittings, the outside diameter gets larger.

The main reason to use Schedule 80 is if it is mandatory in your area for specific applications but it can also be used on cold water loops to help insulate.

Found this on another site.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

ordi260

From what i read its only about whickness...te glue shoudnt matter...i use oatey pvc cement foir my sched 40...

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

Hookup

I happen to have a guy here servicing my water heater.  Posed this question to him.  The answer is yes... the PVC = PVC... schedule is sizing... glue away my friend, glue away.

HomerJ

Thanks for the answer.  I thought schedule was not only thickness but also density, and required maybe a stronger solvent, etc.  I stand corrected.

I'll glue away... soon.  Still have the stand to build, but with the previous woodworking project out of the way, it's full steam ahead ;-b