Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

LED lighting for a sump

Started by HomerJ, April 08, 2010, 07:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HomerJ

HomerJ

Oops... had forgotten to post the link!

Canoe

I didn't notice any specification of current, watts or lumen output of the panel, let alone each of the two types of the LEDs used to make the panel. Just a nominal colour temperature of the white, and a wavelength claim for the blue (apples & oranges). Just that they're "Super Bright" and "wide angle". "Wide angle" means it will have less ability to focus the light down into the tank (note the lenses often used on the higher current LEDs for this purpose).

HomerJ

Is a sump as "picky" as a main tank as far as lighting?  I need to light up an area about 12"x12"x10" just for growing cheato(?) in the sump. 

I have emailed the seller with questions, we'll see how much detail they can provide.

It just seems like a neat alternative to a clip-on fixture with a CF bulb.

JetJumper

Quote from: Canoe on April 08, 2010, 10:42:24 AM
I didn't notice any specification of current, watts or lumen output of the panel, let alone each of the two types of the LEDs used to make the panel. Just a nominal colour temperature of the white, and a wavelength claim for the blue (apples & oranges). Just that they're "Super Bright" and "wide angle". "Wide angle" means it will have less ability to focus the light down into the tank (note the lenses often used on the higher current LEDs for this purpose).

The LEDS used in this panel are the same that I used for my LED build.  They are Identical.  I have looked into these panels already.  Honestly, it will do the job for a sump, but don't trust it for anything that you want to be prized possessions.  The only difference might be the viewing angle.

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

HomerJ

I ended up buying the fixture I linked above (I'm a curious man!) for 30$ + shipping. 

I have just received it and despite feeling a bit flimsy, the light is really bright!  I don't have anything to measure output, etc, but it's strong enough to make you see white dots after looking at it for just a second or 2.

I'll try to take pics of the thing later tonight.

groan

HomerJ

Allright, took a bunch of pics last night...  Sorry, I don't have a tank to test with yet...

The complete product, before surgery...

Warranty?  Not anymore...

Another annoying sticker...

The PCB, free from it's enclosure...

The AC/DC converter... not very high tech! 

Overall shot of the PCB...

Closer look... lots of solder bits everywhere.

It is MUCH brighter than reflected on the picture...

The kitchen was pitch black when I took this pic...

Another attempt at showing brightness...

The light was 6' from the cabinets on this shot... again, much more impressive in person.

So, not too sure what to say until I have a chance to try it on the sump.  It is plenty bright, and generates no heat at all.  It was only a tad warm (not hot) after being on for a few hours last night.  Quality is... hmmm... 5/10 I'd say, it feels flimsy and cheap, but you have to keep in mind the price paid (30$). 

The light is also not as blue as shown on the pics... again, it's hard to capture how it really looks.  (There is a definite blue tint though).

I'll try to bring it to Salty Sunday this week for anyone interested.

Severum

Thanks for sharing the pics. I'd be interested in checking it out this weekend. :)
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

HomerJ

Quote from: Severum on April 24, 2010, 02:31:29 AM
Thanks for sharing the pics. I'd be interested in checking it out this weekend. :)

I'll confirm Sunday morning whether we can go to SS or not.  If we go, I'll bring it for sure.

redbelly

It was very neat to see this fixture at Salty Sundays last weekend.

Are you going to try that spray stuff that Kevin recomended to seal the board up?

HomerJ

I left the thing out on the table when I went inside, and when I came back out of the basement, it was on the kitchen counter... did anyone plug it in at least?

I might use the spray stuff, or I might simply put a crapload or silicon on the back of the board and seal everything off.

redbelly

Yeah, I cant remember who it was, but someone did plug it in to try it out.

The lights are certainly very directional so it should get the majority of its intensity down and into the tank.