Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Reef Octopus 160 Help

Started by KrazieCanuck, April 26, 2010, 08:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KrazieCanuck

Hello all, I'm new to the "In-sump" skimmer idea but I don't think my Reef Octopus 160 is doing what it should be doing.  I've moved from a 55g tank to a 90g tank a few months ago (2.5 months) and setup my sump.  My skimmer still isn't producing skimmate and the bubbles are very low in the collection column.  I've adjusted the hieght of it several times (now in 9inches of water), I've cleaned it maybe twice in the few months with just water.  I've tried with the output water spout being submerged and also not being submerged.  The only thing that seemed to come somewhat close to having the bubbles reach the top was turning the output 90 degree spout upside down and having the thing about 3/4 closed.  When I look in at the bubles they are small and white, not very scummy looking at all.

I can't for the life of me figure it out.  Is it possible that I just don't have enough bioload to get any skimmate in my tank?  I only have 4 fish in there, 3 shrimp, lots of hermits and snails and some corals.  Maybe my cleanup crew is doing a hell of a job?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

ordi260

Hi!

Mmm... Imo the output should not be turned upwards...it could end up with too much backpressure.

Im still fiddling with my ricirc 110 its not in sump but anyway...here is what ive done: adjust skimmer input ball valve and output so there is no huge bubbles coming out of the output. (For me ball valve halfway and output almost closed (adjust it with REALLY small increments. My water height is just before the cone on top of the skimmer (pic available if you want).  Wait a couple of hours or a day...there should be a nice head of foam forming and slowly crawl to the top!

To be honest i think there should be skimmate being produced in your tank.  I only have rocks and cleaner crew (no fish yet) and i have some being produced (slowly).

Also, i noticed that when i touch the water without gloves on, the foam head dissapears for a couple of hours.  So you might want to avoid touching it!

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

KrazieCanuck

Hi Ordi, thanks for the reply.

The upside down idea was only something I tried to see if it would do anything different.  :)

My Reef Octopus sits in the sump, so it doesn't have any ball valve or anything to adjust.  I've read lots of places that the skimmer works best in 8-10" of water, so I've tried 8, 9, 10, and even a bit more.  It does bubble close to the top the high the water, but I still have to keep it closed full to get anything.  I noticed that a lot of micro bubbles come out of the skimmer also.

The tank water is pretty clear and not very green at all.  I don't see much algae build up on the glass and everything in the tank is thriving still.  I also wear an aquarium glove whenever i do anything in the tank which isn't very often.

Going to try the mesh mod on the skimmer and see how much more air it pulls and bubbles it creates.

Just would have thought that after 2.5 months of running it would be foaming like crazy by now.

JetJumper

I would try a ball valve on the output of the skimmer to try and raise the water level inside better.  I have an insump model that has a valve to do this.  I just set it up, but will know more in a couple days if it foams! 
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

KrazieCanuck

Well I put the Mesh Mod impeller in the Reef Octopus 160 Extreme and the thing is now over performing.  lol

I had to move the skimmer up in the water a few inches and it is fully open now and still wet skimming.

Need to try and find a happy medium now.  Going to order the ATB purple impeller i think and try that out.

ReefOtown

how high are your baffles? usually the working range for in sump skimmers are around 7-9 inches anything higher they won't perform I see that you have a 35g sump? baffles might be too high so try to get the skimmer up 1-3 inches see what happens.

hope it helps