Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Lighting and large tanks

Started by squeeker, August 23, 2005, 12:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squeeker

Hey everyone!

At SP Kanata, we have a large ~220 gallon tank.  It's planted, but the plants are growing very leggy because of the poor lighting.  We'd really like to get it looking good, so I was wondering about how to go about doing that, as I've never had a high-light tank.

Right now we have MAYBE 1.5 WPG over the tank.  We'd like to bump that up.  The tank's dimensions are roughly 72" x 20" x 30", so fairly deep.  

My question is:  how many flourescent lights should we expect to be able to put on top of this thing, ie, how close can the lights be placed together?  We'd most likely be using GloMat endcaps and ballasts.  How would one go about making reflectors for the lights?  Anything else I should consider?

Thanks!

Mettle

I'd definitely look into some DIY lighting using ballasts from Canadian Tire, Home Depot and those places. Reflectors can be made from rain gutters, also found at hardware stores. You should also look into compact fluorescents. More wattage and they last longer.

squeeker

Thing is, I'm pretty sure (though I'll check) that they'll want us to use Hagen products.

Mettle

Quote from: "squeeker"Thing is, I'm pretty sure (though I'll check) that they'll want us to use Hagen products.

Haha. Yeah, that's true... Should've figured that. I work at Barrhaven. I know how it is.  ;)

BigDaddy

Hagen simply doesn't make a product that would make that tank a good planted tank.  You would need more Glomats that you could actually functionally fit over the tank.

The problem is tank depth more than anything.  Normal fluorescents simply can not adequately penetrate 30 inches of water.

Marx

What about MH? or VHO?

my new tank is 26" deep.. 60.5x18.5x26 im going 4x65watts power compacts.. 260w.. on  a 125g..

squeeker

QuoteHagen simply doesn't make a product that would make that tank a good planted tank. You would need more Glomats that you could actually functionally fit over the tank.

The problem is tank depth more than anything. Normal fluorescents simply can not adequately penetrate 30 inches of water.

That makes sense.

darkdep

Is that the Discus tank you guys have right at the front of the Fish area?

Mettle

Store use some of the Oceanic compact fluorescents then.

squeeker

Yah, it's the big discus tank.  

I forgot about the Oceanic ones... I'll pass that idea past Mike.

Mettle

Quote from: "squeeker"Yah, it's the big discus tank.  

I forgot about the Oceanic ones... I'll pass that idea past Mike.

With the price tag on 'em... and the way the budget works... I don't see it happening. But don't feel so bad when he laughs at you.  ;)

squeeker

heh!  yah, there's not much of a budget left for this month now... as we're going to be getting in 9" discus next friday!

TBarb

I think power compacts are the way to go in a tank that size and deep. Regular fluorecents won't do the trick in this case. I don't think there is any way around this one to get a flourishing tank.