Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Hooking CO2 reactor to Canister Filter

Started by Zoe, May 20, 2010, 05:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoe

I'm looking into getting a canister filter to replace the HOB on my 20g long. I would also like to hook my CO2 reactor (2, 2L bottles) into the canister filter and eliminate some of the junk that is crowding the tank (power head, tube, etc).  I've read up online but I don't understand how folks have done it.

Does it matter what kind of filter I get, or that it's a CO2 reactor?

Zoe

charlie

The co2 line is usually attached to the pick up/intake tube of the canister, this can be done by either threading the tube through a small hole at the bottom ( strainer) of the intake tube or somewhere along the lower part of the tube itself.
It does have some set backs, in that with high bubble counts some canisters will air lock (might not be a danger for you with a DIY sugar & yeast generator) .
I would suggest that given you already have a ceramic diffuser, you place the diffuser under the pick up line, this can be a bit of a challenge in shallow tanks such as yours, i have a 20 gallon long using a ceramic diffuser, what i did to accomplish that was to angle the Pick up tube @ about 45 deg. , it is somewhat hidden by plants, you can also cut the pick up line to length.
Regards

Zoe

Hi,

Thanks! Do you mean that canister filters have a built in intake for CO2?

charlie

Quote from: Zoe on May 20, 2010, 06:14:37 PM
Hi,

Thanks! Do you mean that canister filters have a built in intake for CO2?
No , I`m referring to the regular intake / pick up line the filter would have to suck up the water from the tank

Zoe

charlie

Quote from: Zoe on May 20, 2010, 06:20:58 PM
Ahh, so I'd have to make a hole?
Yep or squish it through the strainer at the bottom of pick up /intake tube.
Regards