Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

First time I've seen this in 35yrs!

Started by markw, May 14, 2010, 07:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markw

Went down to the fishroom this morning to do routine feeding and maintenance. Notice a dead female Xenotilapia sima in the bottom of one of the tanks. She was a large female-over 5" and had a mouthfull of fry. Anytime I've ever tried to strip from a dead female, the fry are either all dead, fungused or unfertilized eggs. I had to really force her mouth open(she obviously had been dead for several hours) and out squirt over 70 fry! Every one of them is still alive and eating like pigs. She had obviously been beaten up pretty bad by the male, which is an unfortunate characteristic of these guys, but somehow all those fry survived, without any circulation by the mother.
Lesson is next time check to see if anything is still alive!

Brent Shaver

Sorry about the loss of your female, but have to agree it doesnt hurt to check.  70 fry, wow, here I was excited I found 4 lol.  Makes me wonder how many became bait before I noticed..

Keeping in mind I never intended to breed my cichlid tank...

sas

Very interesting, I would have thought the fry would have all died.
Amazing that she held onto them even after being beaten so badly.
I wonder if they would have made their way out of her mouth eventually on their own.

Wow 70 fry, nice big brood, congrats and good eye to save them!

Too bad about your female she sounded like a wonderful specimen.

charlie

Sorry to hear of the loss.
On the good news side,congrats on the fry,this hobby teaches us new things constantly.

fischkopp

Little phoenix fish! Our little finned friends can surprise us every day! :)

be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

markw

Quote from: sas on May 15, 2010, 08:26:01 AM

I wonder if they would have made their way out of her mouth eventually on their own.

Her jaw was closed solid with rigamortis(not sure how to spell that one!) There was no way that the fry could have swum out. It is an amazing side of nature though...like I said I've never seen it before!

ciaus

Rigimortis does pass, but I doubt it would have done so in time for the fry to have worked themselves free...

astare

you lost one fish but gained 70! i hope they make it. i would wish you luck with them but it would appear that they make their own.

RoxyDog

Sad to hear the mom had to go, but that's awesome about the babies!
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Nerine

that's great that the babies were all alive!!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts