Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Painting aquarium back

Started by dan2x38, May 18, 2010, 08:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

My 33g the back is painted. Didn't want the typical black or dark blue so did an aqua colour and really like the look. I will do the same on the 75 upgrade but want a darker shade this time I think between the dark blue and aqua.

There is something I am thinking of but not sure how you do it. Has anyone done a a 2 tone. Start with a darker blue (or darker colour) then fade into a lighter blue say 8" from the bottom. Kind of give the look of swimming up through the water column getting near the surface closer to the light... know what I mean?

Any ideas? Know how you do that? Ever scene it done on a tank?

Also should I paint before putting in my bulkheads?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Brent Shaver

Cant say how it would look, but I can help you with getting the effect you want to aquire.

Lay your tank down and start with the color you want at the bottom.  Hold the can upright at the bottom of the tank and spray along the surface.  This will give you a nice even caot close to the edge but will fade out nicely over the glass without giving it an edge look.  Once this is completed to the depth and fill ratio you want, then do exactly the same from the top of the tank.

Once you have your first color on you might get the spray a bit higher then you want or find overspray over the whole background.  Take a razor blade and remove all the over spray to where you dont want the color to show.

I would seriously suggest to practice on a piece of cardboard first until you get the depth and motion to create the desired effect.

Ideally this would be best accomplished with an airbrush but can also be done with a spray can.

Hope this helps.
Brent

dan2x38

Quote from: Brent Shaver on May 18, 2010, 08:54:12 PM

Hope this helps.
Brent

Sounds like someone wants a job? ;) I too am sure how it would look but it sounds cool.

The two colours would have to be close in shade no more than a couple shades difference I would think.
Voltaire:

Brent Shaver

If you need a hand with it, I would be willing to lend a hand, or help get the effect you are looking for.  I am on call alot and would have to work around my schedule but if you would like I can help you out.

Just let me know what you decide.

dan2x38

Thanks Brent maybe will take you up on that. I really need some advise or opinions on this though. Especially if anyone has ever seen it or done it. As we all know once setup not something easy to change.
Voltaire:

Brent Shaver

Sounds too simple but use a paint program or Photoshop and play around with blends.  As for doing this before on an aquarium before I would have to say no, but I have done it on band backdrops and cars.  The theroy is same, what is important is for you to make sure this is the way you want to go.  The nice thing about this is when done if you dont like it, a simple razor blade and some time will bring it back to original.

Choose your colors wisely and play around with them on photoshop.

Offer stands so just let me know.

dan2x38

My thinking is for the darker shade to be lowest and only several inches above the substrate to give a shadow sort of affect. It can't be a pronounced separation of colour just gradual blend from the darker to the lighter. Again only a couple shades lighter though so it is not a dramatic difference. I think it would give an illusion of more depth?
Voltaire:

Brent Shaver

I think you should go with a 3 color then.

Take a look at this page
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_colorpicker.asp?colorhex=000000

look at the colors
Top     #00007D
Middle  #00006F
Bottom #000061

This should give you the effect you are looking for or an idea.  This is just simple blue scale but can give you a visual how gradual the transistion of color can be.

Also you can use the spectrum to find just what you want to do in color picks.

Hope this is more what you are looking for.

dan2x38

I am after a much brighter shade though.

What about painting with my lighter shade like #52CCCC. Make an even coat but not to thick over the entire back let it totally dry. Next coat spray it evenly but only on the top 2/3 of the tank. Now take a 2nd colour much darker like #215252. Spray it evenly over the bottom 1/3 with just one coat let it dry. Now spray that over the bottom 2/3 evenly.

My bother use to have a motor cycle shop when I grew up and he did custom paint jobs. I remmber he would use a similar technique in doing candy apple pain jobs. This was old technique they used before more modern paints ctreated as candy coats.

Do you know what I mean?
Voltaire:

Brent Shaver

The shade is the last thing, I only used that color as an example.  I do know what you mean by creating the old style candy.

The thing you have to keep in mind is you have to literally think in reverse when planning this.

Keep in mind as soon as you put the solid coat no more paint can be applied as you would be creating this to be seen from the back of the tank and would have a solid color inside.

The color you use is totally up to your personal taste and target.  I was just saying a 3 color fade bottom to the top will give you a deeper effect but be subtle enough not to take away from what you have in the tank.

Now the only other way to do it the way you mentioned would be to get a background and use it as your canvas.  You could paint it the way you want and be able to just hang it on the back of the tank.  And if you choose to do this yourself I would suggest to do it on a background, practice getting the actual effect you are after then just reverse the technic when you apply it on glass.

dan2x38

Today candy apple paints are already made but the old school way they weren't. If I paint white then paint blue over it the shade will be different then blue with no under coat. Candy apple painting they laid down a red then would tint the clear or add thin colours over the base coat. This gave the depth to the colour. I think I got that right?

Any ways my thinking was just lay down a thin coat and then a thicker coat but skip the bottom 3rd. To finish lay down the final coat over the lighter on very dark. It would shade the top coat with just a suttle difference - wouldn't it?

Nothing fancy just looking to decisive the eye make it appear deeper than it actually is.
Voltaire:

Brent Shaver

What you want to do can be done,although to get the depth perception might be a bit tricky, although it would be a nice background and original.

Another option you might want to consider is a piece of smoked mirror and just mist a med blue paint over it.  This would give the color desired and will also give you a true depth to the tank without it looking like it is mirrored.

Again there is many options to get this effect.  Although I would consider checking to see if anyone you know has an airbrush.  This would allow you to get not only your depth but allow you to give a shadowed aquascape simulation.

dan2x38

Airbrush and know how is all I am missing... ideas I got... LOL
Voltaire:

dan2x38

I know that I can buy one... LOL In fact I think there are hobby ones that are vertually disposable. They attach to a can of compressed air. Thing is this is all exspensive enough want to keep cost down. But would like a different look. My tank now is cool it is a lighter colour than most that you see it really makes teh colours pop - stand out. When just the atinics are on it is very cool.
Voltaire:

mikerobart

I saw a cool built on RC where the back was done as a light box to give illusion of open ocean. Used blue acrylic back lit with a t5 tube. Looked super cool.

dan2x38

Went to the Hobby House they have a small airbrush kit that uses cans of compressed air for $35. Thing is I will only use something like once. With that cost and paint plus all the practice I think this is a dead issue. Guess I'll just go with one solid colour.
Voltaire:

Rob Labonte

I have axcess to a big box of spray paint. all colors imaginable, if your experimenting, dan, let me know what colors you want and i can dig through and see what i can find.