Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

driftwood

Started by soleil1980, May 05, 2010, 11:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soleil1980

I acquired a few pieces of driftwood that are not screwed on slate.  The small pieces are ok and sink on their own but my large piece still floats after being immersed for 3 months.  I was thinking of screwing it on slate but what type of screws are safe for a tank?  any other ideas to keep my big piece from floating to the top????

Thank you!
60g guppies, female bettas, bushynose plecos, cories, apistos
2 x 5.5g male bettas
10g bredding tank for bettas,
2.5g male betta
20g, divided with babies (bettas, plecos and cories)

bergenm

I used stainless steel screws and washers from Home Depot.
Michael

astare

tank sealant, or secews with tank sealant over them should do the trick.

Vincenzo.

astare

freshfishies

Quote from: Vince. on May 07, 2010, 07:29:07 PM
epoxy?

So epoxy really is safe to use? I was thinking about using it to build a removable background and maybe some decor ideas. Would this be a good idea or is there something better other than aquarium sealant?

astare

i personally swear by the stuff. i find that it works best in a lot of instances due to its malleability. as far as safe goes it really depends on your application... i usually allow for twice the recommended drying time and then soak the application three or four times with hot h20 from the tap. if you want any advice or help with specific projects open up a new thread so we dont end up thread jacking. i have put together some pretty unique setups and would love to help, im also pretty mad at a couple of my tanks and could use thee break.   

highliner

hey Soleil did you get your driftwood in place? If not I know iam almost 2 mths late on this post lol but for "free floating" driftwood I screwed two holes in the back of mine and hand twisted in some extra suction cups I had from an old heater. :) You could than stick the wood and suction cups to the glass at the back or sides for a 3d'ish look or stick the suction cup to the bottom.