Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Kribensis-fry removal

Started by freshfishies, July 06, 2010, 11:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freshfishies

Can anybody give me a straight answer on this one?
I have heard that the fry should be taken out within a few days, weeks, and even months! It's making me crazy!

Thanks!  :)

presto

I left mine in there until they were over 1 cm.

It's up to you but it is cool to watch them care for the fry.

fischkopp

It depends what you want to do: If you just want to watch the parents breeding behavior then leave them in the tank; some may survive, most naturally won't. If you would like to raise the fry then it is better to have them in their own tank. This way you can feed and care for them more directly. Fry mostly have no chance to develop well in community tank because they can't find enough food in time. I prefer to setup a dedicated tank for breeding pairs and remove the parents when they loose interest about the fry, it tends to be easier than moving all the tiny fish.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

freshfishies

Quote from: fischkopp on July 08, 2010, 12:19:37 PM
I prefer to setup a dedicated tank for breeding pairs and remove the parents when they loose interest about the fry, it tends to be easier than moving all the tiny fish.

What would you say is the minimum gallons I could keep the pair in? Would a 5 gallon be enough?

fischkopp

Quote from: freshfishies on July 09, 2010, 02:03:52 AM
What would you say is the minimum gallons I could keep the pair in? Would a 5 gallon be enough?

The volume isn't that important, provided water conditions are good. What counts is the available space in terms of footprint because each cichlid, even if paired up, needs some space for their own and sets territories. 10 gal is they absolute minimum (10x20" footprint), a standard 15gal is better (12x24), a 20long somewhat optimal (12x30). Any bigger than that will be good for water quality, but can become more difficult to rear the fry.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

freshfishies

presto

Some plants with algae on them will help feed the fry while you are at work if you make a small tank for them.

FYI, out of 30 fry left in community tank, 9 survived, then finally 5 remained to adulthood.

mseguin

Kribs are some of the best parents out there, so generally their fry stand the best chance of survival. I had some fry (not a lot) survive in a community tank, it partly depends on what kind of fish you have.